A few horses to keep an eye on this summer

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited July 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
from Bloodhorse:

A filly by Da Stoops was among the standouts April 13 during the first session of the under tack show for the Ocala Breeders’ Sales Company's spring sale of 2-year-olds in training in Central Florida. She worked the fastest quarter mile, covering the distance in :20 2/5
A member of her sire’s first crop, the bay juvenile is out of the unraced Montbrook mare Magical Promise and is a half-sister to the winner Magical Tiger (by Roar of the Tiger ). The filly's consignor is Blue River Bloodstock, agent.

Three fillies consigned by Leprechaun Racing, agent, shared the quickest time for an eighth of a mile, each turning in a clocking of :9 4/5. One was a gray or roan daughter of Two Punch and the winning Gold Case mare Magic Belle. The others were a bay daughter of Strong Contender and the winning Fusaichi Pegasus mare Ms. Fupeg and a chestnut daughter of Officer and the stakes-winning Mazel Trick mare Ontheqt.

The Strong Contender filly is a member of her sire’s first crop. The Officer filly is a half-sister to the winner Noticin’ You (by Mr. Greeley ), who finished second in the 2009 Shady Well Stakes at Woodbine in Canada.

A colt by With Distinction worked three furlongs of :33 2/5, which was the fastest time for the distance. A member of his sire’s first crop, the dark bay or brown juvenile is out of the unraced Dehere mare Lady Samira and is a half-brother to the winner Judge’s Appeal (by Judge T C), who finished second in the 2003 HBPA City of Charles Town Handicap.

Derby Dreams, agent, is the colt’s consignor.

The second session of the under tack show is scheduled for April 14, beginning at 8 a.m. (EDT). The third and fourth sessions will be held April 15 and 16, respectively. The sale will be conducted April 19-22.

Comments

• John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited April 2010
    Dogwood 2yo filly GLACKETY, out of Smoke Glacken/Shawnee Legend by Miswaki, on route to George Weaver at Belmont. Burning up the track at Aiken, getting the best of other 2yo, some of whom have already raced and won at keeneland(Firepole, Lou Brissie, etc.) Definitely one to watch in May/June nybred msw races.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited April 2010
    Dogwood 2yo filly GLACKETY, out of Smoke Glacken/Shawnee Legend by Miswaki, on route to George Weaver at Belmont. Burning up the track at Aiken, getting the best of other 2yo, some of whom have already raced and won at keeneland(Firepole, Lou Brissie, etc.) Definitely one to watch in May/June nybred msw races.

Appreciate it. This is the kind of info we need on his board.

fb
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Agreed. Maybe I haven't been looking hard enough, but I always have trouble fining info on the Aiken Trials.
    edited April 2010
    John, are you sure that Glackety is the name of the horse? Perhaps the name has been changed? I just did a workout search on him, and he's not coming up at all. Even if he had no drills, he would still come up, so i'm thinking there may have been a name change or something.
    edited June 2010

GLACKETY

06/24/2010 SAR 4F :49.90 Dirt training Fast B
    06/16/2010 SAR 4F :50.95 Dirt training Fast B G
    06/09/2010 SAR 3F :37.05 Dirt training Fast B G
    06/01/2010 SAR 4F :50.05 Dirt training Muddy B
    05/23/2010 SAR 3F :38.00 Dirt training Fast B
    05/15/2010 SAR 3F :38.15 Dirt training Fast B

A couple of quick notes, the 6/9 gate drill came in company with Mississippi Too, while the 6/16 gate drill came in company with Superior Sarah.
    edited June 2010
    Thanks Cat. Glackety is set to run at Belmont next Wed. July 7,2010, race 2. It's a 2yo nybred filly 51/2 f msw race. Glackety is probably going to breeze again today or on Thurs, at the tr track at the spa, and weaver is more than likely going to ask her for a little run, might even come out as a handily workout. I will be at Belmont for the race and will attempt to post any worthwile info I can gather from Weaver. Right now, all we know is that she is well intended, bred to run early, a little mean spirited and has given her groom, Hector, one hell of a hard time as is evidenced by his bite marks and body bruises. Looks as if she inherited some of that Mr. Prospector attitude so now she needs to turn that aggression into speed and hopefully not come out of the gate bitting at air and other horses.
    edited June 2010
    Thanks Cat. Glackety is set to run at Belmont next Wed. July 7,2010, race 2. It's a 2yo nybred filly 51/2 f msw race. Glackety is probably going to breeze again today or on Thurs, at the tr track at the spa, and weaver is more than likely going to ask her for a little run, might even come out as a handily workout. I will be at Belmont for the race and will attempt to post any worthwile info I can gather from Weaver. Right now, all we know is that she is well intended, bred to run early, a little mean spirited and has given her groom, Hector, one hell of a hard time as is evidenced by his bite marks and body bruises. Looks as if she inherited some of that Mr. Prospector attitude so now she needs to turn that aggression into speed and hopefully not come out of the gate bitting at air and other horses.

Looking forward to it, thanks John.
    edited June 2010
    Just now got notification that Glackety worked this morning at Sar Tr Track, 4f 50 flat breezing 13/30. Doesn't look as if she was being encouraged too much.
    edited June 2010
    NYRA web page has the work as BG and 14/34
    edited June 2010
    Looks like she went heads-up with Dr. Diamonds Prize.
    edited July 2010
    Glackety has indeed been entered on Wednesday. Ramon Dominguez aboard.
    edited July 2010
    Morning line is out, with Glackety listed @ 6/1.
    edited July 2010
    There was a mad scramble to get 2yo fillies into this race. Reason being it sets up nicely for a 50k race at Saratoga in early August. As a result, you have the best nybred 2yo fillies all running in this race. Needless to say, Glackety is hooked pretty tough. Todd P. has a runner named Gambling Geraldine who has been working well at Sar Tr Track, also the Sackatoga Boys have a good one that Barclay Tagg sends out, and there is a AP Indy filly running and of course, Wesley Ward has his usual 2yo contingent entered also.. All that said, we still believe she will be competitive but would not be surprised if she needs a race or two. Not going to bet the farm on her, but will have a reasonable across the board wager and hope to collect some purse money.
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for the update, John. I'll be working on the race this afternoon, and will report my findings in this thread. Best of luck with her...
    edited July 2010
    Okay, here's what i found.

The Pletcher maiden (Gambling Geraldine) appears to be the main threat. She's coming off a heads-up drill on June 24 with R Heat Lightning, who won a maiden race by 4 lengths @ Delaware on Monday, despite breaking slowly from the gate. If Gambling Geraldine has similar talent, she could be tough.

The Mark Hennig entry of Page By Page and Brownsteins have worked together 3 straight times, twice heads-up and once where Page By Page was slightly better. Both are unraced, as you can see in the entries. Also, Cornelio Velasquez is name on both, so one of them will surely scratch.

The Barclay Tagg/Sakatoga Stables filly that John mentions (Proud Dame) ran poorly in her Keeneland debut, but worked heads-up with an allowance winner named Wild Awake back on June 17. Wild Awake came out of that drill to run third in a two-turn allowance event on Sunday. Prior to that, she had won a two-turn allowance event on May 31.

Glackety we know about, and i've listed her workout partners in the thread above. All appear to be unraced.

The William Badgett filly Lady Maureen comes off a heads-up gate drill with Punster, who appears unraced.

The Wesley Ward entry consists of Princess Zip and Spa Sunrise. Princess Zip has already run, setting the pace and then fading late in a slow race. Doesn't elicit much interest. Spa Sunrise looked to be part of a 3-horse team drill from the gate on June 18 @ Keeneland with Little Whiskey and Governor's Badge. Both appear to be unraced. Also, Eibar Coa is listed on both, so one of these horses will scratch.

On The Shelf and Rockport Radiance appear to be non-contenders.

The John Kimmel filly Risk a Chance worked heads-up from the gate with Hear Me Roar on June 20, who as best as i can is an older horse who hasn't run since October 2007. No idea what to think about that.
    edited July 2010
    John, i think i was confused by your original post. I thought that Glackety had beaten Firepole and Lou Brissie in the one of the Aiken trials, but it looks like she didn't participate in them at all? Either that, or she didn't hit the board of any of the trials (there were 3 of them for 2yo's). So i assume that she was just outworking them, and never really raced against them in the trials. Was she held out of the trials due to an injury of some type? I guess that would explain why she isn't being entered until now, while bother Firepole and Lou Brissie started at the Keeneland meet. Any info you can give would be great.

Btw, here are the results from the Aiken trials:

http://www.theaikentrainingtrack.com/2010_TrialsResults.pdf

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/55904/dogwood-dominates-aiken-trials
    edited July 2010
    Glackety was working on even terms, or better, with both Lou Brissie and Firepole. Just before the Aiken Trials, she had an unexpected growth spurt, going from 15.1 to about 15.5. An X-Ray revealed that her knees had not completely closed so the decision was made to put her out on the farm in Aiken for a few weeks and let her grow and mature a little and just let her be a horse. She came back with the same attitude and continued to work very well on the Aiken track before being shipped to Saratoga in mid-May. Currently, there is no concern about her knees , yet she has not been asked for her best during any of her workouts as she is breezing at her own speed. We all hope that a strong bit of encouragement from her jock will get her head down and her mind focused on going as fast as she can for as far as she can. Weaver is not completely sold on the idea that she is just a sprinter and he believes that she might stretch out during her 3 yo campaign. There is a great deal of stamina on the dam side, including Noble Damsel and Tender Camilla( a four time stakes winner in europe at age 2). However, right now we just want her to get into a race and have a chance to recoup some of our investment.
    edited July 2010
    Sounds good John, thanks.
    edited July 2010
    Cat, just got word that Glackety's race has been reset for Sunday, July 11, 2010. seems P. J. Campo felt this was an important 2yo nybred race. Unfortunately, W. Ward sent one of his entries out today in 2yo open company and she wired the field. Maybe glad she is out. The Todd P. Johnny V. horse is still the horse to beat, probably go off at 2-1 with Glackety around 7/2. Jockey change to Javier Castellano with Romone Dominguez going to a new entry. This is not a surprise since Javier is weaver's go toguy and the sackatoga/Tagg horse is not entered. Any info on the new entries is appreciated. BTY, race 2 on Sunday.
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for the update. Yeah, I saw that Spa Sunrise won today.
    edited July 2010
    I was wrong about Ramon Dominguez, he rides for William Badgett on Lady Maureen, who looks to be a notch below Gambling Geraldine and Glackety but must be respected with the top jock up. Lucky Leslie has been working at Aqueduct where her times are average but she has posted no works from the gate. Don't know what to think about that but she is out of Read The Footnotes(Smoke Glacken) so she is more than likely going to show some speed. Harbor Chimes comes in from Finger Lakes where she has a series of long, but slow workouts. I would probably consider her a non-contender. It seems strange to me that some of the fillies entered this past Wed. are not coming back in this race. In any event, any hopes we had on Glackety going off at 6-1 or better are probably not in the works due to the defection of the Wesley Ward entries. I would think 7/2 is much more likely, with Gambling Geraldine being a prohibitive 6/5 favorite.
    edited July 2010
    The Pletcher maiden (Gambling Geraldine) appears to be the main threat. She's coming off a heads-up drill on June 24 with R Heat Lightning, who won a maiden race by 4 lengths @ Delaware on Monday, despite breaking slowly from the gate. If Gambling Geraldine has similar talent, she could be tough.

Update on Gambling Geraldine. In addition to having worked with the subsequent winner R Heat Lightning, she also worked heads-up from the gate with Lauren Byrd on June 16. Lauren Byrd won today @ Belmont.
    edited July 2010
    Big changes in the morning line here...

Gambling Geraldine, who was originally listed @ 3/1, is now suddenly 6/5.

Glackety, who was originally listed @ 6/1, is now 4/1.
    edited July 2010
    All Systems GO On GLACKETY! Don't expect 4-1 as I am informed that we can expect some sizeable money to be played on her in her career bow.
    edited July 2010
    Gambling Geraldine is getting pounded in the early double, as you might expect. Looks like she'll be a short price.

Btw, the double to Glackety (from the Race 1 favorite) is paying about 4 times as much. Might get a decent price on her.
    edited July 2010
    Odds with 17 mtp:

Gambling Geraldine 1/1

Glackety 6/1
    edited July 2010
    Gambling Geraldine won easily at odds-on. I think Glackety ran last.
  • randyfrandyf Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    Glackety, i feel bad for owners of this horse i think it has problems
    edited July 2010
    Time to remove Glackety from horses to watch list. Hugh disappointment. Loaded fine, broke ok, then ran like she was on a morning gallop in the field. Showed no heart or courage when confronted by a rival at 1/16 pole and ducked into the rail. Getting beat by 31 lengths at Belmont does indeed have a great deal of historic value but it does damned little for those who lost money on her. My apoligies to those who I misled with my overly optimistic assessment of her abilities. Post race comments from trainer Weaver were typical excuse crap, then talk of blinkers, turf, and anything else to keep our minds off of cheap claiming races or, moreover, Finger Lakes, where a similar effort to her race would no doubt result in another off the board finish. We were almost hoping to get news that she flipped her pallet or experienced some other physical problems that led to her dismal performance, but alas, no, she just had no interest in being a racehorse. Sometimes this is a damn tough game.