Kentucky Derby And Oaks 136 Notes

fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
edited April 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
– The Sid and Jenny Craig Trust’s Sidney’s Candy, whose three-race winning streak in stakes races includes the Santa Anita Derby (GI), is scheduled to work for the first time over the Churchill Downs track on Saturday, April 17. The John Sadler-trained homebred son of Candy Ride could be the first Derby contender to work during a new 15-minute training period devoted exclusively to Derby and Kentucky Oaks contenders, which will be conducted after the mid-session break for track maintenance from roughly 8:30-8:45 a.m. Sadler’s Kentucky Oaks contender Crisp, winner of the Santa Anita Oaks (GI), is also set to work on Saturday …

Trainer Mike Maker will keep a close watch one on of his contenders for the Kentucky Derby and his lone Kentucky Oaks hopeful when Ken and Sarah Ramsey’s Lane’s End (GII) winner Dean’s Candy works in company with Twin Creeks Farm’s 3-year-old filly Age of Humor, runner-up in the Bourbonette (GIII) at Turfway Park, on Saturday at the Trackside Louisville training center. The two horses are scheduled to work on the six-furlong track around 8:30 a.m. Maker said Thomas and Jack Conway’s Stately Victor, upset winner of last week’s Toyota Blue Grass (GI), would gallop at Trackside around 6 a.m. …

Hall of Fame trainer and four-time Kentucky Derby winner D. Wayne Lukas said Dublin, third in the Arkansas Derby (GI), would work on Monday. He said the son of Afleet Alex will work during the Derby-Oaks training segment around 8:30 a.m. … WinStar Farm’s Drosselmeyer a troubled fourth in the Louisiana Derby (GII) for Hall of Fame trainer Bill Mott, is now listed as a likely starter for next week’s The Cliff’s Edge Derby Trial on April 24 at Churchill Downs.

Comments

• fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited April 2010
    FLORIDA DERBY WINNER ICE BOX BREEZES FOR ZITO – Robert LaPenta’s Ice Box, winner of the Florida Derby (Grade I), tuned up for his run in the $2 million-guaranteed Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (GI) with a solid four-furlong workout on Friday, April 16 at Churchill Downs.

The Nick Zito-trained son of Pulpit covered the distance in :48.40 over a fast track under exercise rider Stacey Prior. Ice Box trained in company with 3-year-old stablemate Morning Line and covered the first quarter in :24 and galloped out five furlongs in 1:02.20. Morning Line, ridden by Carlos Correa, was timed in: 48.80.

“I was very happy with it,” said Zito. “The horse has had three mile and an eighth races in a row. I worked him at Palm Meadows before we left (Florida) and this was the work we wanted. Next week we’ll maybe do something a little sharper, and that’s all.”

Zito, a two-time winner of the Kentucky Derby, says the 1 ¼-mile Derby distance should be no problem for his chestnut son of Pulpit.

"It’s inside him, plus he did it three times in a row,” Zito said. “He had three mile and an eighth races this winter and won two of them. He’s got great breeding: his mother won a race going a mile and a half and his sire is Pulpit, who was a fantastic 3-year-old.”

Ice Box has a record of 3-0-0 in seven races and has earned $506,534.

Zito said his other Derby hope, Jacks or Better Farm and LaPenta’s Jackson Bend was doing well on the morning after a Thursday work that was his first serious training move over the Churchill Downs track
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited April 2010
    fbwinners wrote: »
    –Sidney’s Candy, whose three-race winning streak in stakes races includes the Santa Anita Derby (GI), is scheduled to work for the first time over the Churchill Downs track on Saturday, April 17.

Looking forward to this, thanks...
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited April 2010
    I cannot wait I see a 4f 48 brz.

fb