Eskendereya workout

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited April 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
from the Gulfstream Park site:

Fountain of Youth (G2) winner and likely favorite for the Kentucky Derby (G1) Eskendereya worked Saturday morning at Palm Meadows in his final work in Florida before shipping to Kentucky on Tuesday.

Trainer Todd Pletcher had tentatively scheduled Zayat Stable’s Eskendereya to work Sunday morning at Palm Meadows before boarding a plane Tuesday for the flight to Louisville, but weather forecast for possible heavy rain caused the trainer to call an audible and move the work up to Saturday.

With exercise rider Patty Berry in the saddle, Eskendereya was timed five furlongs in 1:02 going alone after posting splits of 13, 25, 37 2/5, 1:02 while galloping out six furlongs in 1:15 2/5 and seven furlongs in 1:29 3/5.

“It rained here last night and the track was about a second slower than usual,” said Pletcher after the work, “I was very pleased with the way he and all of our other horses worked. He (Eskendereya) went just like he did before the Wood (Memorial). Every thing has gone as planned so far.”

Also working five-eighths Saturday morning for Pletcher were E. Paul Robsham Stable’s Discreetly Mine (1:01 4/5), Twin Creek Racing Stable’s Mission Impazible (1:02) and WinStar Farm’s Rule (1:02 3/5). Mission Impazible and Rule worked in company. All are assured a berth in the Kentucky Derby with sufficient graded stakes earnings and will also ship to Louisville on the Tuesday flight.

The imposing Pletcher work team getting their final workouts before shipping north also included Glencrest Farm’s 3-year-old filly Devil May Care (1:01) as she prepares for the $500,000 Kentucky Oaks (G1) on Fri., Apr. 30 at Churchill, and older stakes stars Overbrook Farm’s Battle Plan (51 1/5) and Mrs. Susan Magnier, Michael Tabor and Derrick Smith’s Munnings (48 3/5).

Comments

• rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited April 2010
    i bet you the people that played him in pool number 1 are licking their lips right now cause they got 22-1.....how good does that look right now...
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Hindsight's 20/20. And you can bet that Churchill will be trumpeting the "big overlay" no matter who wins the race. Unless he comes out of the mutuel field, of course.