Lookin At Lucky Update

fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
edited April 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
I have been told that Lookin At Lucky hasn't been the same horse since the SA Derby. He has been making noises during and after his gallops and doesnt' have the same demeanor as in the past. He also doesn't look the part of the old Lookin At Lucky. Take this for what it's worth as my info is keen.

fb

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Interesting. Thanks FB.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited April 2010
    come on fb give me some good news about lucky...lol
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited April 2010
    from DRF:

Lookin At Lucky (six furlongs in 1:12.01): The first workout worthy of true Work of the Day honors since my arrival here Monday. With exercise rider Dana Barnes aboard, Lookin At Lucky broke off at the five-furlong pole about five or six lengths behind stablemate Broken Tango, who maintained most of that margin through an opening quarter in 23.92 seconds. But seemingly in the blink of an eye, Lookin At Lucky made up the entire gap, readily overtaking his workmate entering the stretch after posting an 11.63 split from the three-eighths to the quarter pole while breezing about four or five paths out from the rail. From that point on, Lookin at Lucky was long gone, completing five-eighths to the wire in 59.58 while under little urging before continuing on strongly around the turn to gallop out seven furlongs in 1:25.08 and double gallop out a mile in 1:39.70!

Trainer Bob Baffert has maintained all along that Lookin At Lucky was a much better horse over dirt than the artificial surfaces he's spent the majority of his career on, and from today's stiff drill it's hard to argue with that statement. I particularly liked the very quick turn of foot he displayed nearing the stretch that came from almost imperceptible prompting by his rider and the ability to subsequently sustain a strong pace in the long run down the home straight. It's a combination of speed and stamina that usually serves a horse well in a race like the Kentucky Derby.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited April 2010
    thats what i like to hear...im telling you he hes going to show up big time....ill may be able get get a better price on this guy...
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited April 2010
    CONVEYANCE / LOOKIN AT LUCKY – The pair of stars trained by three-time Kentucky Derby winner Bob Baffert lit up the morning as Karl Watson, Mike Pegram and Paul Weitman’s Lookin At Lucky and Zabeel Racing International’s Conveyance both fired “bullet” works during the special 15-minute training session for Kentucky Derby and Oaks contenders.

Lookin At Lucky, America’s reigning 2-year-old champion and troubled third in the Santa Anita Derby (GI) in his most recent start, was strong in a six-furlong work over “fast” footing in 1:12. Regular exercise rider Dana Barnes was up for the move, which was easily the fastest of just two works at the distance.

Southwest (GIII) winner Conveyance, whose runner-up finish to Endorsement in the Sunland Park Derby (GIII) was his only career loss, worked five furlongs in a swift :58.60, which was the best of 22 at the distance and the only work timed faster than one minute. Jockey Calvin Borel was also in the saddle aboard Conveyance.

The work was the second over the track for both horses since their arrival from Baffert’s Southern California base on Tuesday, April 13. In his earlier breeze, Lookin At Lucky worked by himself for the first time, but Baffert had him back in the company of a workmate. The reigning juvenile champion covered the distance in fractional times of :12.20, :24.60, :35.60 and :47.80 and :59.60 and galloped out seven furlongs in 1:24.80 and a mile in 1:39.20.

“He went really nice over the track; he went well over it and was really reaching,” Baffert said. “He looked comfortable on it and we got a good work out of him.”

Lookin At Lucky’s appearance on the track has, in the eyes of many observers, improved each day since he arrived and Baffert agreed with those assessments.

When he first got here I gave him a little five-eighths (work), but we didn’t let him do much,” Baffert sad. “He could have done more, but we just let him cruise through because coming off a synthetic track, he really has trouble with his hind end. But he’s really gotten stronger and stronger since he’s gotten here. He’s a really happy horse right now.”

With Tuesday’s sharp move behind Lookin At Lucky, Baffert will look for one more work for the Smart Strike colt on Monday or Tuesday of Kentucky Derby Week.

"We got a good work in him – he got a good ‘blow,’ which is good, but without really exhausting him,” said Baffert. “He’s just getting stronger and stronger.”

The Hall of Fame trainer describes Conveyance as a “fast horse,” and that speed was on display in the move by the 3-year-old son of Indian Charlie that saw him cruise through fractions of :11.60, :23.20, :34:80 and :46.20 and gallop out six furlongs in 1:12.

“He went off a little fast, but he needed that,” said Baffert. “He’s the kind of horse that a work like that will sharpen him up. He’s a fast horse – he wants to get out there and get it on.”

Conveyance is also scheduled for a final work either Monday or Tuesday.