Eskendereya out of the Derby

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited April 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
from Daily Racing Form:

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - Eskendereya will not run in the 136th Kentucky Derby on Saturday at Churchill Downs, trainer Todd Pletcher said Sunday morning.

"He's got some filling. We're not sure of the extent of what we re dealing with. But he's not going to run," Pletcher said at 8:55 a.m. Eastern on Sunday.

Pletcher had a press conference scheduled for 9:30 a.m., at which time more information regarding his Derby starters was expected to be revealed.

Eskendereya was the acknowledged favorite for the Derby, based on runaway victories in the Fountain of Youth and Wood Memorial. John Velazquez was scheduled to ride Eskendereya. There is now the possibility that Velaquez may ride the Pletcher-trained filly, Devil May Care, in the Derby.

Comments

• John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited April 2010
    Can Someone With Better Equine Medical Knowledge Than Me Please Inform As To What Is Meant By "some Filling"
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited April 2010
    I think it refers to some kind of inflammation, but i'm not sure. You're right btw, it's a term that's been used for years, and it's pretty damn vague. Perhaps intentionally so?
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited April 2010
    Didnt we lose the top 2 horses last year for the derby? Now the top one this year?
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited April 2010
    Thanks Cat. I can't say that I feel sorry for Pletcher, as he is truly loaded with legit horses. However, I do feel bad for the great John velazquez, who deserves to win the BIG race more than any other jockey who is yet to win the derby. Race in and race out for the past 15 years or so he has always put his mount in a position to win the race , overcoming serious injury along the way. For my money, he is the best jockey to come along since Pat Day. I hope he can line-up another legit mount, other than the Pletcher filly. The real loser in this news is probably the 5th Natl. Bank who is suing Zayat for millions. Poor stinkin bankers! Please post more info re the news conf. Thanks.
    edited April 2010
    It's no doubt be all over Bloodhorse and DRF later. Perhaps the Churchill site as well.

Yeah Mike, the ml favorite I Want Revenge was scratched the morning of the race last year. The other one you're referring to must be Quality Road, though his status was under the microscope for at least a couple of weeks before he pulled out. The Pamplemousse was a bit more of a shock, at least for me.
  • RightAngleRightAngle Administrator
    edited April 2010
    Tough break and I will tear up tickets on yet another derby future ticket.
    edited April 2010
    RightAngle wrote: »
    Tough break and I will tear up tickets on yet another derby future ticket.

Derby futures are a tough business. You pretty much have to bet knowing full-well that you're going to lose. If you happen to get lucky and cash, it's great, but i would never ever expect to win a bet like that. And the farther out you bet, the less chance you have, obviously. Just more chance for something to go wrong. I mean, Winslow Homer seems like ancient history right now, doesn't it? That's why you really need to insist on some big odds before you bet something like that.

Sorry about Ed's loss on Eskendereya, i didn't even know he had him. I can certainly relate to losing Derby futures. I had Quality Road @ 60/1 last year, and of course The Pamplemousse as well.I've taken some rough beats in the race itself, also, most notably on Afleet Alex where i stood to win about 6 grand i think. Rough business.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited April 2010
    cat..i said wow how do them people feel with the big e at 22-1 in the future...eeek.....sorry to them sad souls....
    edited April 2010
    My biggest disappointment was probably Peace Rules. I had him @ 200/1, and not only did he end up making the race as one of the favorites, but he took the lead approaching the turn and had a couple of lengths on them turning for home. He got passed around the sixteenth pole, maybe even later than that. Ended up third by a few lengths behind Funny Cide and Empire Maker.
    edited April 2010
    i remember that...all they could talk about was empire makers bruised foot....i think he was the most overrated horse of all time...
    edited April 2010
    cheaper price for jess jackson?????
  • RightAngleRightAngle Administrator
    edited April 2010
    It was a very small bet for me, I lost a lot more on Take Control a while back.

Closest I have gotten were Aptitude (fired big, but ran into Fu-Peg) and Atswhatimtalknbout (might have been the best horse, didnt get going until super late). I forget exactly but had both in the 35-65 (to 1) range.

Lately I cannot get a horse to make the race.

Hate to see it happen to the favorites so close to the start day, even without having any bets.
    edited April 2010
    GHAWJETS wrote: »
    Can Someone With Better Equine Medical Knowledge Than Me Please Inform As To What Is Meant By "some Filling"

I asked around, and got this response from a guy called Trainer Mike:

When there is a leg injury, a lot of blood and fluid will go to the area and the leg will appear and feel swollen. If the injury is minor, Bute will take the filling out. If its slightly more serious trainers may have a vet inject the area draining the fluid and replacing it with "cortisone" Esky's injury must be severe enough where those options would not suffice or be in the Horses best interest.
    edited April 2010
    Derby futures are a tough business. You pretty much have to bet knowing full-well that you're going to lose. If you happen to get lucky and cash, it's great, but i would never ever expect to win a bet like that. And the farther out you bet, the less chance you have, obviously. Just more chance for something to go wrong. I mean, Winslow Homer seems like ancient history right now, doesn't it? That's why you really need to insist on some big odds before you bet something like that.

Sorry about Ed's loss on Eskendereya, i didn't even know he had him. I can certainly relate to losing Derby futures. I had Quality Road @ 60/1 last year, and of course The Pamplemousse as well.I've taken some rough beats in the race itself, also, most notably on Afleet Alex where i stood to win about 6 grand i think. Rough business.

Yeah same here with Afleet Alex. I waited and played him after the rebel when he threw in a clunker and found future odds on him at 20-1. Then said a few weeks later if Giamaco wins the Santa Anita derby I would play him as my derby horse along with Afleet Alex. Came up short in the SA Derby and I said I couldnt play a horse with no major stakes win coming into the derby. You know the rest! Didnt end up cashing a ticket that year!
    edited April 2010
    Mikenyce wrote: »
    Yeah same here with Afleet Alex. I waited and played him after the rebel when he threw in a clunker and found future odds on him at 20-1. Then said a few weeks later if Giamaco wins the Santa Anita derby I would play him as my derby horse along with Afleet Alex. Came up short in the SA Derby and I said I couldnt play a horse with no major stakes win coming into the derby. You know the rest! Didnt end up cashing a ticket that year!

Wow, that sucks. I looked at Giacomo pretty briefly early in the year, but never had any kind of ticket on him. FWIW, the odds he was at early in the year were about the same as he paid on raceday. Kind of weird.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited April 2010
    Pletcher's Quote:

Asked to draw a human parallel to the injury, the trainer said it would be like a man with a sprained ankle, with extended swelling and puffiness running up the leg. He indicated that the colt was being treated with anti-inflammatories, ice and poultice. He wasn't sure yet if he would stay at his Churchill Downs barn and be treated or perhaps be moved to one of the nearby clinics.
    edited April 2010
    ghawjets it was better explained to be like a sprained ankle to a human....
  • Horsin~AroHorsin~Aro Senior Member
    edited April 2010
    I was watching the Pletcher interview a few days before the announcement with my mathamatics buddy i go to OTB with sometimes Pletcher is standing there with Eskendereya. My buddy keeps saying Ask the question why he has bandages on his legs. They never asked. My buddy says bad sign. if he even runs its not going to be good. My friend has been around the block when it comes to racing. He sure spotted that one 5 miles away.
    edited April 2010
    Funny my father use to train horses way back in the day and said the same thing about the bandages. Thought it was also odd