Setsuko to the Belmont?

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited May 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
from Daily Racing Form:

Setsuko has returned home and is under consideration for the Belmont, trainer Richard Mandella said this week. Runner-up in the Santa Anita Derby, Setsuko did not draw into the Kentucky Derby field due to insufficient graded stakes earnings, and instead raced April 30 in the Grade 2 American Turf at Churchill. He finished fourth, possibly uncomfortable with the wet turf.

"He's back home and seems in good shape," Mandella said. "I would consider the Belmont."

Mandella-trained Witty, the 2009 Railbird winner who suffered her first loss from five starts April 8 at Keeneland, also has returned home and will resume serious training later this week.

"She'll be fine, but she did have an excuse back there," Mandella said, referring to mucus that showed up in a post-race exam.

Witty has recovered from her sickness, and could be pointed toward the Grade 2 A Gleam Handicap on July 17.

Comments

• rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited May 2010
    i think he should just save him and not ship to belmont....you never get the pace setup in that race..
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited May 2010
    rayphil wrote: »
    i think he should just save him and not ship to belmont....you never get the pace setup in that race..

I think it would be a mistake not to run him there. Just my opinion. Btw, regarding the pace set-up, I see where you're going with that, and I agree, but keep in mind that Summer Bird had been coming from well off the pace prior to the Belmont last year. And Setsuko has raced close-up before.