Wednesday play from DiscreetPicks

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited May 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
Hollywood - Race 7

#2 Believe in Hope (3/1 ml)

Trainer Ron Ellis was very high on this colt coming out of the Norfolk a couple of years ago, but an injury kept him out of the Breeders Cup while the two horses that beat him in the Norfolk returned to run first-and-third in the BC Juvenile. Disappeared for about a year and a half with the injury, but finally came back last month and actually WON a tough 7-furlong allowance event that was undoubtedly meant as a tightener. He obviously performed extremely well when stretching out to two turns in the Norfolk as a 2yo, and figures much better-suited to the task these days (as a fully-grown 4yo) than he was back then. And as mentioned, he ran great in the comeback prep last time out, dropping back off the early pace before kicking it in very strongly in the lane to run down the leaders and win going away (check out the final furlong in a sparkling 11.1). Not a very big colt, but he can really motor late, and he should get a fast pace to run at here, with Gothic Samurai and Warren's Pepe figuring to battle on the front end. Has come back to work a bullet six furlongs since the impressive comeback win, and this was likely Ellis' intended target all along (can't thing he had designs on winning the first one, and he clearly considers this colt to be a route type). Expecting a strong effort here.

HRT record:

68 for 247 (28%)

$585.20 mutuels ($8.61 avg)

Comments

• fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited May 2010
    Agree, his comeback was impressive and he was impressive before being turned out.

fb
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited May 2010
    i bet against this guy in last but my wife had him...he looked great especially after the race in the gallop out...ron ellis is a awesome trainer and even better coming off the bench...i had deweys special in his last coming off the bench...but this guy has a lot of potential and i think he will run back well today...can we get 3-1 though..
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited May 2010
    rayphil wrote: »
    i bet against this guy in last but my wife had him...he looked great especially after the race in the gallop out...ron ellis is a awesome trainer and even better coming off the bench...i had deweys special in his last coming off the bench...but this guy has a lot of potential and i think he will run back well today...can we get 3-1 though..

8/5 at the best
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited May 2010
    He went off @ 7/5; i really didn't expect him to get bet that hard. Pretty decent field here and he didn't stick out on Beyers or anything. Ran okay i guess, but i have no idea why Rosario decided to drop him more than 10 lengths off the pace. Especially coming out a sprint. I just can't explain that. Came with his predictable late run, but just had way too much to do. I can't win right now.
  • randyfrandyf Senior Member
    edited May 2010
    i know you feel bad but i also know your a great capper and winning is just arround the corner