RIP Skip Away

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited May 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
from Bloodhorse:

Skip Away, a three-time Eclipse Award winner and 1998 Horse of the Year, died the morning of May 14 at Rick Trontz’ Hopewell Farm near Midway, Ky.

The son of Skip Trial, out of the Diplomat Way mare Ingot Way, was 17 years old.

“He was a tough horse,” said Trontz. “He never showed any signs but he had a heart condition for years. Some people didn’t expect him to live as long as he did. He was a durable and hard-knocking sire and racehorse.”

Skip Away raced for Carolyn Hine and was trained by Hubert "Sonny" Hine. He won 18 of 38 races and earned $9,616,360--third best on the all-time North American lists behind Curlin and Cigar.

He was bred in Florida by Anna Marie Barnhart.

He was named champion 3-year-old male of 1996 off wins in the Jockey Club Gold Cup, Woodbine Mile, and Buick Haskell Invitational Handicap (all gr. I). At 4 he was champion older male after a six-length romp in the Breeders’ Cup Classic (gr. I) at Hollywood Park and scores in three other graded stakes. He was named Horse of the Year at 5 and champion older male off a tremendous run of seven wins from eighth starts with five grade I victories in the Donn Handicap, Gulfstream Park Handicap, Pimlico Special, Hollywood Gold Cup, and Woodward Stakes.

As a sire, he is represented by 20 stakes winners. He stood at Hopewell Farm since his retirement following his 1998 campaign.

Comments