Rachel to face males again in the Stephen Foster?

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited June 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
from the Racing Post:

USA: Rachel Alexandra, the reigning Horse of the Year but only runner-up on her two starts todate this season, gave every indication she is nearing a third start when she worked six furlongs at Churchill Downs Monday morning in a crisp 1min 11.20sec.

The exercise marked the fourth consective Monday she has worked for trainer Steve Asmussen.

No race has been identified as her next stop by her connections, but speculation holds it that she will reappear at Churchill Downs on June 12 in either the Grade 1 Stephen Foster Handicap against males or in the Grade 2 Fleur de Lis Handicap for fillies and mares.

Rachel Alexandra has been ridden in her recent works by Shaun Bridgmohan, who rides many of the Asmussen-trained horses but there has been no speculation that Bridgmohan might replace Calvin Borel aboard the four-year-old.

In fact, Asmusen said immediately after the second of Rachel Alexandra's losses this season, to the Bill Mott-trained Unrivaled Belle in the La Troienne Stakes on April 30, that Borel had ridden the filly perfectly.

Rachel Alexandra finished second to Zardana, trained by Zenyatta's trainer John Shirreffs, on her seaonal debut, in the New Orleans Ladies at Fair Grounds on March 13.

The race was to have served as a prep for a meeting with unbeaten Zenyatta in the Apple Blossom at Oaklawn Park on April 9, a race valued at $5 million had both horses run.

But the much-anticipated meeting did not take place, and Zenyatta easily won the Apple Blossom for a second time.

Comments

• InTheFogInTheFog Senior Member
    edited June 2010
    Rachel is just not the same Rachel this guy is trying to prove she is, if she runs against some good males in the Foster and ends up next to last maybe he will see the light.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited June 2010
    she cant beat a 4 horse field of filly and mares....now males...what a joke
  • cinfrontcinfront Senior Member
    edited June 2010
    She'll run on the same day but not at Chuchill. She'll run in a G3 at Delaware.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited June 2010
    They will pick there spot with her and probably enter in two races that weekend. They will take the easiest of routes.

fb
    edited June 2010
    That's the thing FB, she's now entered for 3. They've entered her today for The Obeah Stakes G3 for 3yr olds and up at 1 1/8 and put up the $100.00 nom fee. Today was the closing date.
    edited June 2010
    Rachel has been entered for The Ogden Phipps 12 Jun. against the Boys at Belmont. There she'll face Zardana again. Unless they're pointing her for the G1 @ Delaware next month. (750,000.)
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited June 2010
    cinfront wrote: »
    Rachel has been entered for The Ogden Phipps 12 Jun. against the Boys at Belmont. There she'll face Zardana again. Unless they're pointing her for the G1 @ Delaware next month. (750,000.)

Supposedly they're considering 4 different races. What a bunch of grandstanders, lol. I think the only way that would be true is if they're sitting around and waiting to see which one comes up the weakest.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited June 2010
    the ogden phipps race is for filly and mares..
  • InTheFogInTheFog Senior Member
    edited June 2010
    I say retire her while she still has somewhat of a reputation, to keep running her will only diminish it. She was a great horse of course but now not being the same Rachel you have to look at the past performances to see who might win the race.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited June 2010
    I still wish i could have found a prop bet earlier this year on whether Rachel would face Zenyatta at all. I don't think it's gonna happen...
  • KP-HR2k9KP-HR2k9 Senior Member
    edited June 2010
    Supposedly they're considering 4 different races. What a bunch of grandstanders, lol. I think the only way that would be true is if they're sitting around and waiting to see which one comes up the weakest.

welll is in.,, shes running in the Fleur de Lis, Not Foster wow what a joke but anyways gl 2her an the connections.,, Zenyatta rules anyways

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/57423/rachel-to-start-in-fleur-de-lis-not-foster?utm_source=BreakingNews&utm_medium=email