Friday play from DiscreetPicks

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited June 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
Belmont - Race 2

#5 Pretend and Extend (7/2 ml)

2yo sales grad for Violette (who does very well with this type for owner Klaravich Stables) was entered as part of an entry last week with barnmate Bail Out the Cat, but scratched to wait for this one. Bail Out The Cat won that race impressively, which bodes very well for this horse, because they had actually worked heads-up together on 5 different occasions. They even worked together on a 6th occasion, with Pretend and Extend doing a bit better over an off track. So it definitely looks like this colt is comparable to Bail Out the Cat, and a repeat of that one's effort would make this one pretty tough today. Also worth noting that Violette won yesterday's 2yo race as well, with firster Let's Get Fiscal (another sales grad for these same owners). Looks very live.

HRT record:

68 for 251 (27%)

$585.20 mutuels ($8.61 avg)

Comments

• thebox138thebox138 Senior Member
    edited June 2010
    hey i didnt get to watch saw he ran 4th but how was the race run ? ( and please noone tell me "in a circle " lol)
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited June 2010
    He was only beaten a couple of lengths at the wire, but frankly it was a disappointing effort as he was never really in contention at any point. He was outfooted early by a couple of speedy frontrunners who were dueling on the lead, and was laying third by around 5 lengths. I thought he might be able to come and get them after they tired, but he wasn't showing much, in fact the jockey started whipping him on the turn. He was closing the gap late, but was passed by another horse in the process (the eventual second-place finisher) and it was more a case of the leaders just coming back to him, i think. No real punch. I was very surprised, considering how well his workmate ran last week.