Great link if you're betting the College World Series

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited June 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
Not sure if anyone here enjoys betting on the College World Series, but i've had outstanding success over the last 4 or 5 years betting on the picks given out at this link:

Baseball America | Blog | Baseball America College Blog | Rosenblog

These two guys (Aaron Fitt and John Manuel) are bona-fide experts on college baseball; it's their job to follow it for BaseballAmerica (which is the #1 resource for college and minor leage baseball). Each year when the final 8 teams get to Omaha, these guys start blogging live from Rosenblatt Stadium, and they give their picks on each day's games. And suffice to say, they are FAR sharper than the oddsmakers who are postring lines on the games. As you may know, the lines for the College Woreld Series games are often heavily weighted towards the favorite, with teams often being listed in the -250 range. And reasonably often, these guys will agree that the underdog is the team to beat in a particular game, and they're not even taking the betting line into consideration. They're talking just straight-up, period, with no odds involved in their decision making process. So basically what i've been doing over the years is taking whatever underdog (or short-priced favorite) that they've been agreeing on. Quite often they'll pick opposite sides of the game, but even then, that leads one to believe that the game could very well be a toss-up, and if you're getting +180 (or whatever) on a toss-up, well, you know what to do. Recommended reading, for sure.

Just two disclaimers i should make regarding the picks. First off, they're often posted very late, like perhaps just half an hour before gametime. Not always that late, but it's not that unusual either.

The other important note is that the picks are just a friendly, annual competition between the two guys, and as a result of that, if one guy is able to build a lead, then the other one will often just start picking the opposite team in an effort to catch up (and they'll say as much, so it won't be hard to spot). Even then however, they still provide resaoning with their picks. It's a really great read, and a great way to get some expert analysis on the games. I lost on them last year for the first time ever, but like i said, i've been following for around 4 years i think. And win or lose, the games are fun to bet on and exciting to watch. Hope you guys enjoy it, i know i will.

PS - Aaron Fitt is probably the sharper of the two, so i'm more interested in who he's picking. It's great when they agree though, obviously.

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited June 2010
    I'm taking Florida +140 today. Also took TCU to win the tournament @ 8/1.
  • InTheFogInTheFog Senior Member
    edited June 2010
    Bet the Cocks.:thumbup:
    edited June 2010
    InTheFog wrote: »
    Bet the Cocks.:thumbup:

S. Carolina is actually the longest price on the board @15/1. They're -105 against the Sooners tomorrow though.
    edited June 2010
    Less than an hour to gametime, and still no update for today. I told you these guys were slackers, lol.
    edited June 2010
    Okay, they just posted it about 5 minutes after i said that. I knew it had to be coming soon.

Apparently the tarp is out though, and Aaron Fitt says the first game will probably not start on time. He's also anticipating some weather delays throughout the course of the day. As far as their picks, i'm abstaining today. Both are picking the heavily-favored Sun Devils in the late game, and they say the early game (Oklahoma/South Carolina) is a tossup, which is reflected in the line. No value today, it would seem.
  • IcemanIceman Junior Member
    edited June 2010
    Keep these coming. Thanks!!
    edited June 2010
    They're actually still playing the early game (OU/SC), due to several rain delays. The Clemson/ASU game has been postponed until tomorrow, and apparently that's the only game, so no plays for Monday.

Here's a link to the schedules: Today's Schedule
  • rumplerumple Member
    edited June 2010
    Went with Aaron and TCU for first college baseball bet, this pitcher is terrible for TCU, cant believe they were only slight dogs hes totally outclassed by Gerrit.
    edited June 2010
    I can't believe i missed today's play's, i didn't even bother checking the link troday because apparently i looked at the schedule wrong last night (i don't think so?), and it said the only game today was ASU/Clemson. By the time i found out about the other games, they were already gone.

Anyway, both guys picked Florida today (they lost), but it' s debatable whether or not they constituted a play, as they were -140. Not sure what i would've done there. Aaron did pick TCU (and they were also his pick to win the entire tourney), so they were indeed a play @ +130. They would've been for me, anyway.
    edited June 2010
    The other scoreboard/schedule i posted is definitely messed up. There are two games scheduled for tomorrow, and currently it's not showing either one. Here's a better scoreboard, disregard the other one:

College World Series Baseball Scores - College World Series Scoreboard - ESPN
  • randyfrandyf Senior Member
    edited June 2010
    Dc,

I Went To Site And Couldn't Find Monday Picks. What Did I Do Wrong?
    edited June 2010
    Their picks for each day's games are (usually) located in the first post of the day. The other posts consist of game updates and such.
    edited June 2010
    Taking S. Carolina @ +240 today. Sounds like a pretty even matchup, and we're getting a huge price.
    edited June 2010
    Taking S. Carolina @ +240 today. Sounds like a pretty even matchup, and we're getting a huge price.

S. Carolina wins 11-4 as a +240 underdog. That's why I love the College World Series!