Leparoux to return to races on July 1

fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
edited June 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
Leparoux to return to races on July 1

Jockey Julien Leparoux, who was injured in a spill during the May 14 Black-Eyed Susan S. (G2), returned to the saddle Wednesday morning galloping horses at Churchill Downs. The 26-year-old will resume riding races on July 1.

Leparoux suffered a compression fracture in his vertebrae when his mount Diva Delite (Repent) clipped heels in the Black-Eyed Susan, unseating him and pitching him onto the track. Leparoux rode the next day on the Preakness Day card at Pimlico, winning two races, and won two races the following day at Churchill Downs.

The injury was discovered during an MRI on May 18.

"I didn't think I was that badly hurt," Leparoux said. "But that is all behind me now -- in the past."

During the five weeks off, Leparoux spent a week and a half in his native France and another week in the Bahamas.

Agent Steve Bass said that Leparoux, who has won or shared six riding titles at Churchill Downs, would ride the final four days of the meet. After the meet closes on July 4, the jockey plans to stay in Kentucky for a couple of weeks before going to Saratoga.

Leparoux is expected to arrive at the Spa about a week in advance of opening day, which is July 23.

Comments