Favorite horse racing book to read

IcemanIceman Junior Member
edited June 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
There has been some great stuf written from horse racing handicappers with among my favorites being by Barry Meadow, Dick Mitchell and Tom Ainslie.

My favorite book wouold have to be "Six Secrets of Successful Bettors: Winning insights into playing the horse" by Franks Scatoni

In fact it's one of my favorite gambling books (sports, poker, horses, etc..).

Interviews gamblers and asks them tons of important horse handicapping, money management questions.

Great book.

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited June 2010
    I've heard of that book before. I'll check it out, thanks!
  • RightAngleRightAngle Administrator
    edited June 2010
    Thanks for the recommendation.

What are other people's favorites? My Dad's birthday is coming up, I want to buy him a few different ones. Just looked on Amazon and there are many to choose from.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited June 2010
    RightAngle wrote: »
    Thanks for the recommendation.

What are other people's favorites? My Dad's birthday is coming up, I want to buy him a few different ones. Just looked on Amazon and there are many to choose from.

I enjoyed "Betting Thoroughbreds" by Steve Davidowitz. Another good one is "Dave Litfin's Expert Handicapping".
  • IcemanIceman Junior Member
    edited June 2010
    From a pure handicapping standpoint (pretty advanced stuff but really good) the best one I have read is THE BEST OF THOROUGHBRED HANDICAPPING by James Quinn. It's the best ideas and systems from all the top authors. Basically the best work by some of the best handicappers in the business. Kind of a best of the best type thing. But anything written by Barry Meadow (money secrets at the racetrack) or Dick Mitchell are really good when it comes to explaining how to put a number and make an odds line for each eace. Most of the stuff was written in the 90's so wondering if it there is better stuff ot there nowadys but pretty sure the math behind this stuff all stands the test of time.

From a horse racing feel good story about the actual horse I liked the book called FUNNY CIDE or William Nack's book called SECRETARIAT: THE MAKING OF A CHAMPION. Nack is an expert on Secretariat and was with him almost every step of his career.

From a horse racing as a business/personenl story, I like BETTING ON MYSELF by Steven Crist.

One that isnt as popular but I really related to and I think many who went to the track for years might feel the same way, is a story about all the characters/gamblers who try and beat the horses everyday at the track it's called HORSEPLAYERS: LIFE AT THE TRACK by Ted McClelland
  • Horsin~AroHorsin~Aro Senior Member
    edited June 2010
    I think a great gift would be a subscribe to american turf monthly, a great read and always new info and insight