Sunday play from DiscreetPicks.com

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited July 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
Emerald Downs - Race 6

#9 Big Bad Brown (5/1 ml)

First-time starter for the outstanding debut trainer Jim Penney had worked heads-up three straight times with The Gang and I, who came out of those drills to score first time out. Big Bad Brown later worked heads-up with Burgundy Hill, who ran a big race in his debut, finishing second by a neck. Frankly, i'm surprised that Big Bad Brown has taken this long to be entered in a race, but he hasn't missed any works, and considering he's been entered directly in a stakes for his debut, there's little doubt he's in fine shape. Seems likely that Penney was just saving him for this more lucrative spot. Rider Gutierrez gets the call here, and according to the Racing Form, he's ridden 4 first-time starters for Penney at the meet, resulting in 3 wins and a second. Yeah, i think this one's live.

HRT record:

68 for 254 (27%)

$585.20 mutuels ($8.61 avg)

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited July 2010
    Went off @ 4/1 and finished 6th, but it wasn't a bad effort at all. He hopped badly at the gate and then veered sharply to the outside, costing himself several lengths and ruining any chance he had at winning the race. After that, started moving noticeably well up the backside, making up several lengths before they entered the turn.

That was it though, as he came wide into the stretch and was still probably 7 lengths off the lead with most of the field in front of him. Gutierrez took him back inside to save some ground, and he made a steady rally up the inside to miss 4th by about a neck. Not sure if he was going to win anyway, but the break definitely did him in.

Check out the race on CalRacing. I wouldn't hesitate to back this horse again if he gets dropped into a maiden race at any kind of reasonable price.
  • KP-HR2k9KP-HR2k9 Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    i saw it an i think he will be better at a longer distance race
    those 2yr in the front were cooking wow very fast begining

even if he got out the gate with them he looks like a long distance horse
    i know is early to say an he's a 2yr old but after he settle in he wasn't going fast
    an those horse were moving, i just think he do better at a longer distance

In My Opinion
    I'll be on the look out for next race BBB
    ===========================
    Northwest Stallion Knights Choice S.
    R8=EMERALD DOWNS The Gang and I ran in the 8th race i haven't seen the race yet but i got an Update

Horse name The Gang and I
    Notes check him out 2yr old w2w
    Activity type Result
    Activity date 07-18-2010
    Track Emerald Downs
    Surface Dirt
    Distance 5 1/2 Furlongs
    Track condition Fast
    Race number 8
    Purse $30,000
    Race type Stakes
    Finish position 4
    Jockey Duran F
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited July 2010
    You might be right about the distance thing. I don't doubt he has early speed, and I think he's capable of winning a sprint, but the one thing I noticed as they were approaching the gate is how large he was. He seemed to tower over the other horses. Might be where he got his name.