Bad Break Changed Complexion of Sanford

warrenthebullwarrenthebull Member
edited July 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
Bail Out the Cat was fighting for his head at the strart of the Sanford. He wound up getting left as jockey Alan Garcia managed to get his iron back. Maybesomaybenot broke cleanly from the rail and took the lead. He held a short lead to the top and despite getting out a bit at the eighth pole he got home first over a "good" track that found many colts laboring.

The maiden Nacho Saint was the value in the race and may have an up side. After a clean break he was sixth into the turn. Riding the rail to the top Garrett Gomez rallied his colt in a wide path early stretch. Like the eventual winner, Nacho Saint was also getting out some but kept on coming. The Yes It's True colt may do even better when he gets more yards.

Chipshot wound up a better-than-looked fifth. Here's why. At the start he came out to jostle with Lou Brissie. Then for about 100 yards Lou Brissie kept coming over and bumping him. Chipshot was angled in several lanes to get away from the green racing Lou Brissie who finished a non threatening fourth.

It's hard to get a read on the bad luck trip of Bail Out the Cat. Garcia angled the colt far wide entering the stretch. It appeared as if the outside lanes were a bit slower. Garcia did urge the Tale of the Cat colt left-handed late and he made enough progress to beat two after losing all chance.

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited July 2010
    Maybesomaybenot's win was definitely influenced by the gate incident with Bail Out The Cat. He set some solid splits on the lead, and dug in gamely when challenged to open up again, but he would definitely would've had a tougher task had Bail Out The Cat broken cleanly and engaged him early.

Chipshot, who was my pick to win the race, just threw in a cluinker today. It's true that he was bumped by Lou Brissie and then proceeded to get leaned on in the early going, but he ended up in a pretty nice spot behind the leaders while appearing to be under a decent hold, and he just didn't have it when called upon turning for home. A hole opened for him at the top of the stretch, and he was unable to make any kind of move. I would agree that he appeared to be laboring over the surface, at least in the stretch, so perhaps that was the problem. I do think he's better than he showed today.

Bail Out The Cat, you can just draw a line through his race today. He had no chance after what happened. Whatever came afterward isn't going to prove much.

Nacho Saint was coming pretty well after emerging from the pack late, and may indeed improve with more ground. I think his late run might be a bit of an illusion though, as the final furlong was pretty slow. Hard to say, as slow final furlongs are known to happen when the Saratoga track is drying out.

Bottom line though, i don't think any of these colts pose much of a threat to Kantharos. Not at the Hopeful distance anyway. My guess is he'll be prepping in the Saratoga Special, probably against Boys at Tosconova.