Saturday play from DiscreetPicks.com

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited August 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
Saratoga - Race 6

#3 Astrology (5/1 ml)

I've been waiting on this horse since last weekend, when the impressive Asmussen firster Wine Police won by 8 lengths in fast time. Wine Police had worked heads-up with Astrology three consecutive times heading into that race, so considering his performance, it's reasonable to expect a strong effort from Astrology here. It's also worth mentioning that Astrology is a half-brother to a couple of former Asmussen 2yo stakes winners, Lunargal and Lunarpal. Should run well.

HRT record:

69 for 257 (27%)

$593.00 mutuels ($8.59 avg)

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited July 2010
    Ran well, but he was caught in tight along the rail, and i think he was probably intimidated. Seems likely to improve next time out.
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    Ok let me get this straight. Astrology 1st time starter gets bet down to 8/5 and was running against a horse who had a troubled break last time and still finished 3rd against a runaway winner at Belmont in his last. 6-1 morning line and Settle For Medal wins and pays $45.00. I knew there were going to be big prices today but wow this was crazy. Overlooked this one I guess. Never even looked at this race.
  • Horsin~AroHorsin~Aro Senior Member
    edited August 2010
    I played Settle For Medal on top due to a couple things. 1. finished 3rd @12-1 vs similar 2. Was the best horse in that field with horrible out of the gate start costing him several lengths which I think the morning line showed for this race bringing him in @6-1. 3. I did not pay attention to his recent works guessing alot more time was spent at gate schooling. I think people just looked at his works and layed off of him bringing his odds way up. I thought he might of actually gone off at lower odds than Astrology but was wrong there.
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited August 2010
    Just read the article in NYPost and it stated : "Astrology, a 2-year old colt, was hammered to 8-5 favorite debuting for Steve Asmussen, despite fact that no first-time starter by A.P. Indy has ever won at Saratoga going 6 furlongs or less". Interesting. Good job with Settle For Medal