Del Mar Track Bias ?

TurfCapperTurfCapper Member
edited July 2007 in Horse Racing Forum
I have been watching Del Mar sporadically this week. The main track races I have seen seem to favor horses just off the pace, but not real deep closers.

Any one have more specific data, or an opinion from watching ?

Comments

• RightAngleRightAngle Administrator
    edited July 2007
    I've only watched a hand full of dirt races but it seemed to be that not much passing was being done in the stretch unless the passing horse had considerably more energy. Basically no one seemed to have much energy to do much of anything late in races. So definitely you want to be somewhat close

Edward
  • wire2wirewire2wire Senior Member
    edited July 2007
    UNTIL HORSES ADAPT TO THE NEW SURFACE I THINK CLOSERS ARE IN FOR A HARD TIME...w2w
  • PacManPacMan Member
    edited July 2007
    Some have been saying this new surface is to try and revert the sprint bias in the breeding and forcing endurance back into the game. If that's the case, I think it will be a good thing but have to wonder how long before we start to see the changes?
  • TurfCapperTurfCapper Member
    edited July 2007
    It's interesting because its supposed to be the same surface as Keeneland, but Keeneland really favored late runners . . . I'm not sure where I stand on the surface, its nice to remove a true speed bias, but if it goes the other way and buries any horse on the front end, is that really better ?

Wouldn't the ideal situation be 33 percent won by pace, middle movers, and deep closers - that the track was fair to all, and handicapping the race was found by the combination of the best horse and the pace of the race ?
  • ballcoachballcoach Member
    edited July 2007
    Jusy my opinion , but it appears horses that have had a race in the last couple of weeks run better on the main track. Conditioning is the problem, it appears when they reach the turn the horses that have been off stop, or get passed. gl