Suggested Play In 6th At Del Mar

warrenthebullwarrenthebull Member
edited August 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
Here's how I suggest playing the one-mile sixth race on the Del Mar lawn with the rails out only 7 feet.

Loved the style which Pack Your Bags(3) exhibited last time. Yes.....it was against Cal-breds. Yes......it was a small field. But we liked the manner which he got it done. It tells me he can get it done around two turns. Pack Your Bags was not quick early. He was fourth outside one as they made their way down the backside. Midway on the turn Pack Your Bags was 3-1/2 lengths back of the leader. When Bejarano wheeled him outside he responded to two flicks of the whip. The half-length winning margin is misleading because he did it with aplomb! If he handles the Del Mar green he'll take a lot of beating.

Derive(1) is strictly the horse to beat. It appeared Joel Rosario got along with him splendidly. Trainer Gary Stute took the blinkers off he had worn for the last five starts. The game plan going in was obviously to get Derive to relax and finish well. Third early he was allowed to settle back fourth before reaching the half. Rosario wheeled him outside. He made a sweeping run and was actually five-wide(-2) to the top. Derive kept coming late. He's the danger as he seeks his first win on turf. His July 29 Del Mar drill saw him gallop out a mile in strong fashion.

I'll use Pack Your Bags(3) with Derive(2) in an exacta box. In addition invest $2 in a $1 trifecta. Use 3 & 2 first and second and Shediak(6) in the third spot. 3-2 with 3-2 with 1. Shediak(6) made a run out of last in that marathon last time and hung. He figures to be funning on late. Pack Your Bags(3) is top preference because he figures to get good early position and may get the jump on Derive.