Sidney's Candy/Twirling Candy

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited August 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
Sidney's Candy worked in 1:11 4/5 over the turf course on Sunday morning, and will apparently be entered in this weekend's LaJolla Handicap.

I've also read (in the Del Mar Stable Notes) that Twirling Candy will likely be pointed directly to the Del Mar Derby.

This seems strange to me, since the LaJolla is a prep for the Del Mar Derby, and you would think that Sadler wants to keep these colts seperated.

What might be happening here, and it's just a hunch, is that Sadler wants to see how well Sidney's Candy takes to the grass, and should he win the LaJolla, he might then point Sidney's Candy to the Del Mar Derby and re-route Twirling Candy to the Travers.

Based on what i've been reading so far, my best guess is that Twirling Candy's ultimate goal might be the BC Mile (the grassy version), but it'll be interesting to see how this plays out over the weekend.

Comments

• rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited August 2010
    why not the pacific classic for twirling candy...the division is light out west and with the defection of railtrip and with the moss's saying that zenyatta will not go there it may come up light....im sure he is better then richards kid and awesome gem right now...
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited August 2010
    rayphil wrote: »
    why not the pacific classic for twirling candy...the division is light out west and with the defection of railtrip and with the moss's saying that zenyatta will not go there it may come up light....im sure he is better then richards kid and awesome gem right now...

Agree
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited August 2010
    I think the Travers would be more likely (if he indeed passed on the Del Mar Derby), because Sadler mentioned it as a possibility after the Oceanside, but you make a good point.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited August 2010
    the pacific classic is going to be like a 1 million dollar giveaway...almost forgot about misremembered...back on the worktab
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited August 2010
    The thing with the Travers is that it's a highly prestigious race (for breeding concerns), and you only get one shot to win it (with a 3yo). The Pacific Classic he might get another chance or two at.

The other thing is that Lookin at Lucky has already been declared from the race.

Btw, anyone else think that Devil May Care would be a good fit for the Travers? Pletcher already ran her in the Derby, so i'm guessing he wouldn't be opposed to the idea, except that it would be better for his owners' pocketbooks if a colt (like Super Saver) won it. She also looked great @ Saratoga last time out, and the distance seems to be within her realm. I think she'd rate a big chance. I can't remember a filly ever winning the Travers, either. I don't even remember a filly running in it. Not since i've been following horses, anyway.