Malibu Pier A Play Trying 2 Turns At Del Mar

warrenthebullwarrenthebull Member
edited August 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
7th Del Mar--(Post 5:00)--Malibu Pier(8) was "lengths best" when breaking her maiden at six furlongs on the Del Mar lawn. Carla Gaines would not be wheeling her back if she were not tearing the barn down. Here's what happened last time. Malibu Pier got away second. She raced between foes for the opening quarter of a mile. Bejarano dropped her to the rail and saved ground moving to the top. Then it happened. Bejarano had to check her hard,she broke stride(-2), only to recover. Malibu Pier then surged late to overcome it all. One more observation. Malibu Pier galloped out strongly after the finish so we were left with the impression more distance is going to be to her liking. When Gaines worked her on August 5 this big filly impressed the clockers when breezing five panels. Once again the clockers report was she galloped out nicely. Malibu Pier(8) gets two turns in this spot and all observations say that should be a plus.

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited August 2010
    This filly's debut was one of the most sensational first-out wins i've ever seen. I'm in total agreement here.
    edited August 2010
    Hey Warren, i thought the dam's name looked familiar, so i just looked it up. Turns out this filly is a half-sister to Patch of Blue, a very talented turfer for Mandella a few years back. That one won his debut going long.
    edited August 2010
    Winner @ $4.60
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited August 2010
    i thought the ride was a little questionable...i think the filly would be better to sit right off the lead but bejerano sent her to the lead..but she ran well yesterday...
    edited August 2010
    Her opening quarter was actually faster than Sidney's Candy's. Then she got choked down pretty good during the second quarter, all the way down to 47 and change. I suspect that might have taken something out of her, and remember that she was stretching out for the first time.