3 Plays Sunday August 15 at Del Mar

warrenthebullwarrenthebull Member
edited August 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
2nd Del Mar--(Post 2:30)--New Bay(4) is an angle play. I backed him last time. He had no excuse! Third to the top and wide he failed to finish. Sometimes a horseplayer has to be forgiving. I believe he will be an overlaid price at post time. In other words, I project New Bay will be a bigger price than his opening price of 5-to-2.

Here's my angle. New Bay is still listed as a "ridgling" in the Racing Form. I believe this is incorrect. Reportedly surgery was performed to change that conditon which many times affects the way an equine performs. The surgery reportedly took place prior to his June 6th win. Sometimes it takes quite a bit of time for the horse to recover. Since that last outing, when he had no visible excuse, he'w worked twice in the wee dark hours of the morning. He looked sharp as a tack on Aug., 2nd and the 9th. Joel Rosario does not ride New Bay back. That will help his price. Rosario sticks with Position A who will be racing as a second time gelding for Doug O'Neill. They figure to go favored. Jerry Hollandorfer drops Paul's Hope in for a $40,000 claim tag. Since Bejarano rides him they also figure to draw a lot of play at the windows.

New Bay(4) will open at 5-to-2 but I think there's a chance he'll be closer to 7-to-2 at post time. Corey Nakatani takes the call and Mike Mitchell fits hium with blinkers.

5th Del Mar--(Post 4:00)--Poor race shape did in Galleta Monstruo(6) last time. Janine Sahadi shortens up the 4-year-old gelding today. He should come running late at a fair price.

Last time he was handled in the starting gate stall and got away cleanly. Galleta Monstruo was bumped and jostled and caught wide(-1-1/2) while 6th entering the first turn. Brice Blanc placed him fifth for the run down the backstretch. He was fourth and wide midway on the second turn. In other words, he never was in good tactical positon. There appears to be ample early speed in the race. That should set the table for the late rdun of Galleta Monstruo(6) who opens at 5-to-2.

8th Del Mar--(Post 5:30)--I like the patience trainer Marty Wolfson has shown with the talented filly Gozzip Girl(7). She's my recommended play in the feature Mabee. After her comeback debacle June 19 at Belmont he took her to Delaware Park. She raced close up in third and rode the rail to the top. Gozzip Girl tried to rally inside but at the point where the railing breaks away, she drifted in and lost her focus.

Note what Wolfson did after her race over the deeper Delaware turf course. He shipped Gozzip Girl to Florida and trained her over the deep and sandy Calder Race Course. Many years ago Minnesota handicapper taught me the value of training and racing over Calder Race Course and shipping to other venues. Gozzip Girl should be dead fit. Wolfson also makes a pivotal rider switch. He goes freom Elvis Trujillo to Julien Laparoux. That;'s like going from a Volkswagen for a Mazerati. One last thing......Gozzip Girl(7) figures to move up racing on the firmer turf course at Del Mar. She's my play and a pick six single.

Comments

• FloydrturboFloydrturbo Member
    edited August 2010
    Warren,
    Nice Day Yesterday. Where does one find out about surgeries like that ?
    Do you just have to have inside info ?