Katharos Retired

Horsin~AroHorsin~Aro Senior Member
edited December 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
Kantharos Injured, Retired
By Blood-Horse Staff
Updated: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 5:55 PM
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 5:55 PM
Email Print RSS ShareThis Email A FriendClose Window
Two-time graded stakes winner and leading juvenile Kantharos suffered a career-ending leg fracture earlier this week while galloping out following a routine workout it was announced Aug. 31.

“This horse is a magnificent athlete," said owner Jess Jackson in a statement. “We are stunned, shocked and terribly saddened by this awful event. At the same time we are hoping that this injury will heal completely. At this point, his prognosis for a healthy recovery is good, but in any case, his racing career is over.”
Kantharos remained undefeated in three starts with an easy 7 1/4-length victory in the Saratoga Special (gr. II) on Aug. 16. Prior to that, he won the Bashford Manor (gr. III) and a maiden special weight contest, both at Churchill Downs. He won his three starts by a combined 28 1/2 lengths and until the injury he was pointing toward a fall campaign.
“This was a tragic and unforeseeable event," said trainer Steve Asmussen. “The brilliance that he had shown was a foretaste of his limitless potential. Right now we are following his progress closely.”
Kantharos is the son of Lion Heart . The chestnut colt was bred in Kentucky by Hedberg Hall and out of the Southern Halo mate Contessa Halo.
Jackson said he would release updates regarding the colt’s condition and recovery in the coming months.

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited August 2010
    Unreal.
  • Horsin~AroHorsin~Aro Senior Member
    edited August 2010
    Thats one never saw coming at all until your heads up post earlier. was weird I was reading your post and it came up on my widget while i was reading your post
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited August 2010
    I'm pretty floored by this, regardless of my post yesterday. I'll just point to this as yet another example of why you need to demand a reasonable price before jumping into those future pools. This type of thing just happens too often.
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited August 2010
    yup...thats why it is refer to as a sucker bet but we as gamblers sometimes cant pass up the odds...
  • husker70husker70 Senior Member
    edited August 2010
    Thats A Good Reason To Not Race As 2 Yr Olds......these Animals Are Fragile...
  • thebox138thebox138 Senior Member
    edited September 2010
    omg thats unreal . man sometimes u just have to scratch ur heads and think what might have been
  • KP-HR2k9KP-HR2k9 Senior Member
    edited September 2010
    OMG!!!!! I'm speechless :sad:

Kantharos & RA making babies thats what i see in the future:basketball:
  • Horsin~AroHorsin~Aro Senior Member
    edited December 2010
    I wish I got $5000 a pop. Id make $10,000 a year. LOL