Del Mar Plays 9/3

zaxtheaxzaxtheax Junior Member
edited September 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
PK 6- 3/3,4,8/7/2,6,9/2,3,6/1,8,9 ($162)

PPALL- 2,4/6/3/3,4/7/2,6,9/2,3,6/1,8 ($72)

$1 Pick 4- 7/1,2,6,8,9,10/2,3,5,6/1,6,7,8,9 ($120)

$1 Pick 4- 7/2,6,9/3,6/1,6,7,8,9 ($30)

Race 1- $1 trifecta 2,4/2,4,7/ALL ($24)

Race 2- $1 trifecta 6/1,4,5,7,8/1,4,5,7,8 ($20)

Race 3- $2 trifecta 3/4,9/1,2,4,5,7,8,9 ($24)

Race 5- $1 superfecta 7/5,8/1,4,5,6,8/1,4,5,6,8 ($24)

Race 7- $2 trifecta 3,6/2,3,5,6/2,3,5,6 ($24)

Race 8- $3 exacta 6,9/1,6,8,9 ($18)

Race 1 Notes-
#2 Chapman's Peak has a beautiful work tab and appears ready to fire first time out.

#'s 1, 3, 5, and 8 all seem to possess a good deal of speed, so I'm expecting a pretty hot pace up front. This scenario would be very advantageous to the Baffert entry, #7 Mr. Charlie. While I think he will be making up ground late, he's unraced since January and I would like to see one before I place him on top.

The #4 Good To Go tries the Del Mar poly for the first time, and he has every reason to improve today.

Race 2 Notes-
#6, Blue Maiden appears to be the class of the field. She ships from Britain, and in my estimation looks to be much the best.

Amongst these, the gray Hollendorfer filly #8 Hemera seems to have the strongest closing kick in the field but she needs a steep improvement to get home over the rest of these girls.

Race 3 notes-
#3 Black Coyote 3/1 m/l is my top play of the day. Gelding ran a game 2nd on debut (8/11), posting an 88 Beyer figure, and appears to have come out of that race just fine as evidenced by working 59 and 4 over 5 furlongs on Saturday. One negative is that he runs out of the semi-frosty Headley barn.

The #9 Inverness Cape is a Baffert first timer that looks to have loads of talent, but I will be keying the horse that has a race under his belt.

The #8 Bridging will take a good deal of money as he possesses some late run, and is working under the scorching hot Puype barn, but not having run since January I prefer others.

Race 4 notes-
#3 Engine Sixty-Nine posted a solid 80 Beyer on August 13th over 6 1/2 furlongs; his first effort in 9 months. He has had his fair share of trouble getting home, but the slight shortening to 6 furlongs should prove advantageous and he has a solid shot of wiring this field. P.Val may be able to drag him across the line in time.

The #4, Gotmymojoworking looks to me to be an extremely strong value play at 8/1 m/l. Work pattern suggests he enjoys the Del Mar surface, and while he wore down a bit in his last effort, he may have needed that race as he hadn't run in about 3 months.

The #8, Adriatic Moon is not my kind of horse, not having won since January on the Tapeta at Golden Gate, but he fits pretty nicely in this slot. He's dropping a level, and although it isn't a substantial drop it may be a scenario where he finds his friends today.

I have more than a little concern about the #6, Within Reason. Although he appears to be going in the wrong direction, if he can rate a bit off of the #3 and make a strong middle move he has every right to get home on top.

Race 5 Notes-
The #7, Late Cuddle will be the consensus choice amongst these, and deservedly so. I'm guessing he goes off at no better than even money, and probably odds-on.

If you're looking to upset him, I would suggest the #8, Enumclaw Girl, a mare with ability who takes her second crack at 2 turns.

Race 6 Notes-
One of the more contentious races on the card, I've gone 3 deep in the pick 6, but figure 6 horses in the race have a legitimate shot at win honors.

My top choice is the #6, Frequent Fame 6/1 m/l. She ran a game 2nd over 6 furlongs, missing by 1 1/4 lengths on August 12th. She did have to weave thru and split traffic and she probably should have gotten home on that day. The extra furlong today should suit her well, and I think this filly offers terrific value this afternoon.

The #2, Serene Sophia, won at first asking in impressive fashion. She was drawing away at the finish, and she was steadied early in that race. This Baffert filly has a beautiful pattern of works, and I believe she has to be used on top of all tickets.

The #9, Our Road Scholar hasn't won in over a year's time, but she's an honest runner who has flashed speed in her workouts and is shortening from a mile to 6 furlongs today. She fits nicely in here today, and the Avila/Berrio connection is always worthy of strong consideration.

The #1, Lazered certainly has some ability, but she is a tad inconsistent for my taste, and may prefer the grass to they polytrack. PVal gets the mount.

The #8, Cruzin Topless does pose a serious threat to my top 3 choices. On paper she appears to be the speed of the speed, and she is shortening a tick. Have to consider.

The #10 Dani Reese tries the poly for the first time since December. She has more back class than the rest of the field, and her work pattern is nothing to scoff at. She needs to show me one before I back her.

Race 7 notes-
Another contentious race in my estimation. The #2 Goggles McCoy stretches out to a mile for the first time. He certainly likes to dictate the tempo. I was at Del Mar on the 11th, and he really didn't ever seem to be asked for his best. However, I do recall that the fractions in that race were awfully slow, and if he is headed with pressure, it will be interesting to see how he responds. I prefer others, but I think you have to use him.

The #3, Lion's Story looks to be quite a nice value play at 5/1 m/l. He is a sharp horse and he's fresh. I love the PVal/Hollendorfer connections and he's working very nicely. One slight concern is that he's sorta been in a very good/ok/very good/ok pattern when he takes to the track. Going by this formula today he's due for an "ok" run. 2 for 2 at Del Mar. can't dismiss

The #6, Distorted Economy is a horse on the improve. Really seems to like the Del Mar surface, and is working fantastic. Raffy aboard certainly doesn't hinder his chances.

The #5, Gallant Gent is not without a shot in here. At distance, he has been more of the grinding variety, but he also enjoys the del mar surface, and has run against better than these.

Race 8 notes-

While on paper, the #1, Intentional, and the #8, Dearly Concerned appear to have the most ability, this hasn't really translated to the track on race day.

If you're looking to connect at a price, I find two first timers in here very intriguing. The #6, Ricketyracketyruss at 12/1 m/l, and the #9, Hanakkuh 8/1 m/l.

Comments