Jockey/Trainer quotes from the Del Mar Derby (Twirling Candy)

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited September 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
from the Del Mar website:

JOEL ROSARIO (Twirling Candy) -- "He must have seen something inside him. All of a sudden he went outside. I did the best I could to get him back. I don't think it (the swerving incident coming into the backstretch) caused that much trouble. I didn't have any trouble with the saddle or the reins. He did it himself. I've worked him in the morning and he sometimes ducks away from things. He's so talented. He's such a good colt. Once I got him going back right he relaxed and just went on about it."

PATRICK VALENZUELA (Jairzihno) -- "I had a great trip. That's all I can say."

RAFAEL BEJARANO (Royal F J) -- "My horse ran well. He didn't have any excuses. The winner just won easy. He's too good."

VICTOR ESPINOZA (Summer Movie) -- "He took me way out. We almost went down. My horse crossed legs with him and I had to stop riding. I was lucky I didn't go down. I think my horse might have gotten hurt. I hope he didn't, but he might have."

JOHN SADLER (Twirling Candy) --- "I think the stewards made the right call [on possible disqualification]. He [Twirling Candy] was so much the best. It was only his fourth start and he's big and headstrong. He'll get better and better against better horses. This is one of the best horses in the country; he's so gifted. He's better when there are horses around him. When he's by himself out there he does a lot of looking around. He'll run in the Goodwood Stakes [at Oak Tree] and I think the pace on a synthetic surface will be better for him."

SIMON CALLAGHAN (Jairzihno) -- "He ran a big race and we're happy to be second. The winner was the best horse. Our horse runs better in big races and that's why he was so good today. He's progressing well since he's been in this country."

The stakes win was the seventh of the meet for Joel Rosario, the most by any rider at the session. He also won last year's Del Mar Derby aboard Rendezvous. He now has 14 stakes wins at Del Mar.

The stakes win was the fourth of the meet for John Sadler and his second in the Del Mar Derby. He now has 36 stakes wins at Del Mar, tying him with Neil Drysdale for eighth place on the all-time list.

Comments

• rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited September 2010
    john sadler has been in this game for along time but he still says they made the right decision cause he was much the best...it doesnt matter whos best it matters if it cost the horse a placing...imo he should of got taken down....
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited September 2010
    What do you expect Sadler to say?

What upsets me is that I was hoping to get a quote regarding Twirling Candy's potential Breeders Cup target (I suspect it's the Classic), but the quotes were dominated by the backstretch incident.