Baseball play for today

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited September 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
I like the Blue Jays +105 over Baltimore.

Toronto is starting their prized pitching prospect Kyle Drabek, who was the key figure in the Roy Halladay trade last year. Drabek was very sharp in Double-A this year, posting a 2.94 era and 1.20 whip over 27 starts, while averaging an excellent 7.3 strikeouts per 9 innings.

As you may know, these talented pitching callups often have an edge when making their debuts, because they're an unknown quantity to batters who have never seen them before, and as a result of that, they can often get through the order a couple of times before the hitters are able to adjust.

For that reason, i would lean to the first 5 innings play (also because Drabek probably won't go much longer than that). As for the Orioles' starter, he's been good recently, but Toronto lit him up for 8 earned runs in an earlier meeting this year.

Good value on the Blue Jays here, i think.

Comments

• rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited September 2010
    the jays were undefeated against the birds this year until this series but buckshowalter has turned this team around...best record in the majors since he took over...
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited September 2010
    Jays lose 3-1. Decent debut for Drabek. He allowed 3 runs over 6 innings, but his whip was terrible at over 2. He did strike out 4-out-of-5 batters during one particular stretch though. Was hitting 95+ on the gun, and the radio announcers sounded pretty impressed with his stuff. Someone to follow, for sure (he's supposed to make 2 more starts this year). Would've been nice if he had gotten some run support...
  • randyfrandyf Senior Member
    edited September 2010
    any horses today?

thx