Guild Needs To Up The Ante On Breeders Cup Day

warrenthebullwarrenthebull Member
edited October 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
By Warren Eves

On September 3, the Friday before the All American, I had the pleasure of meeting jockey Mark Villa for the first time. I was on my way to Louisiana and stopped to visit longtime school chum Bob Larue of Alamagordo, New Mexico. I was lucky to be in the winners' circle after Larue's horse Rosie's Big Sky won by seven that day. Villa was the jockey.

Villa was killed in a freak accident on September 25 at Zia Park.

Over the years I've been fortunate to rub elbows with the world's best jockey's. Bill Shoemaker was special. I was hired to work for Churchill Downs for one Derby because of my association with Bill Hartack. It's run the gamut when one talks about jockeys.

September 3rd will forever be etched in my memory.

Emotions ran the gamut. Rose Larue, whom Rosie's Big Sky was named after, was still being pulled up. Some thoughts were given to carrying Rose down the winner's enclosure. That never happened. The rest of us made our way down to take part in the traditional winner's circle ceremony. Rose, with tears of joy, had to look on from about 100 yards away. She is badly hobbled by crippling arthritis.

There was a lot of joy that day. After the picture was taken by the track photog jockey Mark Villa jumped off. We shook his hand and exchanged pleasantries. It wasn't until later we figured out it was Villa's lovely wife Krystal standing off to our right. Next to her stood their twins Olivia and Garrett. I regret I didn't speak to all three of them, but I really didn't know who they were.

It's nice to see Jockey's Guild members donating one losing Breeders Cup mount to Villa and the gravely injured Michael Martinez. I only wish the Guild had taken this writer's suggestion years ago and run with it.

The Guild could have solved a lot of insurance issues if they had members pledge a half percent of a winning Breeders Cup mount to their own fund. The money would be significant, especially when it comes to races like the Classic. It would give, indirectly, hundreds of other jockeys who will never have a BC mount, the security they wind up begging for year after year.

The jockey profession is a chosen trade. It's dangerous. But wouldn't this be the right thing to do by Guild members fortunate enough to have shots at big paydays? If I'm wrong about this approach, so be it. I continue to believe riders who belong to the Guild should step up and help those less fortunate.

Larue has had a ball with Rosie's Big Sky. Recently he made a small contribution to the Mark Villa fund. He received a thankyou note from Villa's widow. This sort of thing is never easy to deal with.

On Friday, Oct., 30, Larue will leave his Alamagordo home and drive wife Rose to a New Mexico clinic. She's slated to undergo surgery on Nov., 1st. Surgeons hope to give Rosie a bit more mobility to move around. Right now, a simple walk across the kitchen is difficult.

Pray Rose Larue's surgery brings positive results. She'd l;ike to make another trip to a racetrack to watch her namesake run again.

The winner's circle picture taken on September 6 will occupy a spot on my wall of horse racing photos. Owner Bob Larue, jockey Villa aboard Rosie's Big Sky and myself are pictured. Krystal Villa and the two twins are off to the right. Rosie? She's not in that picture because she had to look on from afar.

None of us that day had any idea the fickled hand of fate would take Mark Villa away from us 19 days later.

Hopefully those who compete in Breeders Cup Races Nov., 5 and 6 will all return safely.

Once again, Rosie will be watching those races from afar.