Zenyatta in the Classic

RightAngleRightAngle Administrator
edited November 2010 in Horse Racing Forum
That was really something. Seemed dead as could be, then seemed like she would win for sure. Just ran an amazing race and did everything but win.

Certainly can't take anything away from her.

Comments

• MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited November 2010
    Nope ran a heck of a race.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited November 2010
    I'm just crushed. I knew it was trouble when Mike had to take her inside going into the turn, but she managed to cut sharply to the right and get into the clear, EXACTLY the same way she did last year. Once she got out there and started rolling, i really thought she was gonna get there. I really did. To fall just a head short or a nose short or whatever it was.....how painful. I'm just kind of overwhelmed right now.

Mike Simth on the other hand, he could barely speak. That guy looked completely torn apart. What a horrible ending to this whole thing. I mean, she ran great, as usual, but damn. How painful.
  • Horsin~AroHorsin~Aro Senior Member
    edited November 2010
    Devistating yes, that is the feeling you get, but, she did prove today that she can run with anyone, anywhere at any time today. It would have hurt less if she lost by 4 lengths.
  • TrotmanTrotman Senior Member
    edited November 2010
    My comment may stir some controversy....however, the best mare on the grounds was/is Goldikova.

Lets look at a few facts:

3 time consecutive winner of a BC race (beat 9 colts yesterday) and ships from overseas
    Goldikova 16 starts are G1, Zenyatta 13 starts are G1
    Goldikova in 6 of 21 starts had between 6-8 starters, 15 races had between 9 -14 starters
    Zenyetta in 17 of 20 starts had between 4-8 starters, 3 races had 12 starters....a whole lot less traffic and bumping with less horses in a race.

DC....want to say thanks for the information on the Euro tracks....

I was live at CD this weekend and the hype/expection of "Z" was as anyone can imagine, extremely high and even a win would have seemed somewaht anticlimatic...happy yes...but expected....I will say the lines betting were long for 30 + mintes for the race, but short on collecting...I thought the exacta was huge for those 2 horses. Z looked great coming into the walking ring and in the post parade.
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited November 2010
    I think the title may have to go to Goldikova. What she did you will not see again. She took on the boys again and again here and around the world and won. What can you say I was lucky to see her. Wow.
  • RightAngleRightAngle Administrator
    edited November 2010
    Both are incredible mares, no doubt about that.

Goldikova lost 6 times, and all of her big wins came at exactly 1 mile on the turf.

Can easily say best mare on turf at a mile ever, which is saying a lot, but hard to compare her to Zenyatta.
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited November 2010
    Hard to compare Goldikova to Zenyatta ? You're right it is. Goldie traveled the world taking on the best males this year and beat them. Zenyatta left California twice and lost 1 and won 1 and never beat males on dirt in her entire career.

Zenyatta fans have to be realistic she didn't beat a G1 winner ALL YEAR.
  • RightAngleRightAngle Administrator
    edited November 2010
    Draynay wrote: »
    Zenyatta fans have to be realistic she didn't beat a G1 winner ALL YEAR.

There were quite a few G1 winners behind her on Saturday, and it is easy to argue that if her and Blame had comparable trips, Zenyatta would have won. Hard to knock the surfaces she ran on when Goldikova has exclusively raced on turf her entire career. In fact, Zenyatta performing so well on dirt gives a big lift to her legacy in my book. Five different females have won the BC Mile, no other female besides Zenyatta has ever come close to winning the BC Classic, nonetheless twice. Again, both are incredible mares, but as a U.S. racing fan, have to give the nod to Zenyatta, as her consistency may never again be matched.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited November 2010
    Goldikova is sensational, no doubt about it.

It does seem weird though, hearing her called "greatest ever", when she wasn't even the best filly of her crop. There's absolutely no doubt that Zarkava was better, at least during the one year that they were both in training. Too bad they retired Zarkava after her 3yo season.

Incidentally, was she bred to Sea The Stars earlier this year, if memory serves.
  • Horsin~AroHorsin~Aro Senior Member
    edited November 2010
    BRISTOL, Conn. (AP)—Zenyatta’s star power nearly tripled television ratings for the Breeders’ Cup Classic.

ESPN said Monday that the preliminary rating for the one-hour broadcast window that included her race was up 180 percent from last year.

The previously undefeated mare lost to Blame by a head Saturday.

ESPN will have complete viewership numbers Tuesday.

I guess some of us here werent the only Zen fans