Private Play Sunday Aqueduct 6th

John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
edited January 2011 in Horse Racing Forum
Aqueduct Race 6 SUNDAY
3yo NY Bred fillies $40,000.00 alw n1x 6 Furlongs

#1 GLACKETY

One year ago, this young filly was running heads up at the Dogwood Aiken track with other youngsters who would go on to win and some graded stakes wins. We shipped her to Belmont/Saratoga where she proceeded to run 3 of the worst races you could ever witness. In fact, I was ready to ship her to Finger Lakes and lose her in a NY Bred $5,000 clm race. It was clear that she was not ready for prime time so we shipped her to a young trainer in Bowie, Maryland named Chris Grove, who ran her several times at Charles Town and she kept getting better in each race. Since she left New York, she has hit the board in five straight races, and in her last at Laurel she finally broke her maiden in a quite impressive fashion. Now, we bring her back to New York and expect a huge effort and a square price.

On paper, Pletcher has a horse who has only raced once, a winning effort and a huge number, but that was 2 months ago with only one work since. This sends up warning signals to me on a horse who will probably be 6/5 or less at post time. Ramon has the mount on a Dutrow filly out of Freud who has numbers which suggest that she will be up against tougher than she has seen, and we all know that Ramon could take the mount on a fuckin mule and the price will be 7/5.

Glackety shipps in and will be stabled in George Weaver's stable(her former trainer) but will be listed as trained by Chris Grove and she will keep her Mid-Atlantic leading jock, J.D. Acosta, who many in NY may not know. I suspect that this, alone, will keep the odds at 5-1 or better. We expect her to sit just off a fast early duo up front and make a wide sweeping move around the turn and get up late at a square price.

Comments

• John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    Aqueduct was sealed yesterday to keep moisture out. This means that they will be working the surface deep today to get ready for racing. Past track bias suggests that the times will be much slower today and probably tomorrow also. Early speed has a history of tiring late and Early/Pressers will have a much better shot of getting up late. What does all this mean? Hell, I don't know, but Glackety has the best late speed figures of all entries so this does not hurt her chances any. Morning line is out and the Pletcher filly is listed at 4/5, with the Dutrow/Ramon at 5/2 and Glackety at 5-1. Trainer Chris Grove is very comfortable with bringing her back on only 17 days rest as she is prone to kick down the stall after about a week of galloping, and he feels that she is as fit as a young filly can be. Also, the Pletcher favorite ran her only race over the Aqueduct main track, and has no works on the Inner. At the time of her race in late November, the Aqu main surface was fast as it has ever been and her times might be somewhat skewed by that factor. Of course, Glackety has never been on inner either but she has the most races of any in this field and on four different tracks. You might want to watch the early races tomorrow and see if the track is showing signs of a bias.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited January 2011
    Good luck, John.

Btw, i caught a nice Weaver winner @ Gulfstream the other day. I was actually going to ask you about that one, but i'm guessing you just know about the Dogwood horses?
    edited January 2011
    DC
    Glad you hit one, and hope it was a good one! We communicate often with Bill finley, who is George's asst. trainer and is currently in Florida. We had good word last week in stakes race on Boots Ahead, who got mugged at the start and didn't run a step thereafter. Keep an eye on Weaver's horses who are owned by Agnes Peace, as these seem to be the ones who are primed for a big effort in Florida. Most of the Dogwood horses are taking time off right now and will be gearing up for Keeneland/CD/Belmont/Saratoga. Gulfstream is a great place for watching races, but the daily fees and lack of more than one condition for several weeks makes it a difficult place to keep your head above water, unless you're on the derby trail and winning those races. Also, the level of competition there is very tough. I'll ask George & Bill how they feel about upcoming races/chances and keep you advised.
  • JermanJerman Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    The # 11 in race 10 today is a Weaver trained horse owned by Agnes Peace.
    edited January 2011
    The horse i had was the first-time starter on Wednesday named Gloomy I'm Knot. She had worked the fastest quarter-mile at the Ocala sale last February, and was listed @ 10/1 on the morning line going 5 1/2 furlongs. Unfortunately, the Pletcher favorite got scartched and i ended up with an $8.20 payout. Still pretty good, but kind of a letdown considering the big morning line and the fact that she only had 3 workouts showing.

Incidentally, she was owned by Smart Choice Stable and ridden by Castellano.
    edited January 2011
    Here's the video of Glackety's win @ Laurel last time out:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/USA/LRL/2011/1/6/3/race-3
    edited January 2011
    Quick note on the big Pletcher favorite Midnight Visit (4/5 ml). John mention that she's only had one posted workout in the entire two months since her big maiden win, and that came in the company of Espresso Martini, who came out of that drill to debut on Jan 5th. She showed good speed from the inside and led to the top of the stretch, but then shortened stride a bit through the lane while tiring to finish 4th.
    edited January 2011
    If there was any bias yesterday at Aqueduct, it was bias in favor of the best horses running that way. However, the rail/inside appeared to be the place to be, at least until the final 1/16 when they appeared to get into the 2 or 3 hole for the final run. Again, this bodes well for Glackety, I hope. The big fav, Midnight Visit, could win this race by 5 or more lengths, but I'm betting she came out of her last with some soreness which could equalize things a bit. Glackety can't let the fav get to far out in front or the race will be over. Yet, there is other speed here which we hope will get out early with the fav and set it up late for Glackety.
    BTW. DC, thanks for the video above, it's always good to watch $16k coming our way again!
    GOOD LUCK TO ALL!
    edited January 2011
    I wish Acosta hadn't taken back along the inside. Nice late run, but she had way too much work to do.
  • HoudiniHoudini Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    Agree a 1000 percent.Wouldve gotten second easily,the winner was tough.