Fairgrounds Race 3 this past Saturday

fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
edited February 2011 in Horse Racing Forum
For those that didn't see this race I recommend go find the replay of this or look at the charts, if this young colt doesn't turn out to be a stakes winner I will be shocked. He recorded the fastest 6f time for the entire meet geared down. You never see 1:08 at FG and he did it with ease. It's too late for the Derby trail but don't be suprised to see him in some of the summer 3yo classics. His name is Bind.

fb

Comments

• fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited February 2011
    Late-bloomer Bind gets 105 Beyer

It’s entirely possible that the most talented 3-year-old to race on the Risen Star card wasn’t in the Risen Star at all. Bind made his career debut in a maiden special weight sprint, race 3, and was absolutely sensational. Bind sat third behind a scorching early pace, seized command at the top of the stretch after being roused at the three-furlong pole, and went on to win by 9 1/4 lengths. His six-furlong time of 1:08.80 produced a Beyer Speed Figure of 105, a number that seems completely legitimate. The Fair Grounds track surface played fast Saturday, but was far from the fastest surface this season. Bind’s time was .77 seconds off the track record established in 2002, but was the first sub-1:09 six furlongs recorded at Fair Grounds since 2005.

Scariest of all, Bind is a massive, placid colt with a route pedigree, and he should be at least as good running two turns.

But quash thoughts of a Triple Crown run for Bind. Trainer Al Stall and owners Claiborne Farm and Adele Dilschneider are taking a slow and patient approach with a potential star – much as they did with a horse named Blame.

“It was only a maiden race,” Claiborne principal Seth Hancock said after leaving the winner’s circle Saturday.

The product of a Clairborne mating between Pulpit and Check, an Unbridled mare, Bind, hard to believe, failed to meet a $180,000 reserve when entered in the Keeneland September yearling sale of 2009. Bind came to Stall’s barn early in the summer, but was sent home because Stall thought he wasn’t ready to start earnest training. Back on Sept. 1, Bind has been on a steady training pattern ever since.

Stall said not to expect Bind to race again until late March at Fair Grounds or sometime in April at Keeneland
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited February 2011
    Thanks, will definitely have a look at the replay.
    edited February 2011
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited February 2011
    When I'm back over at the FG in a couple weeks, I will ask Al Stall Jr. his intenions with this young colt, I sit right next two him when I'm over there. I had a real nice conversation with Ken McPeek last weekend and got some nice tidbits from him.

fb
    edited February 2011
    That would be great, FB. I'm guessing the Withers might be involved?