Suggestions about a place to stay around Saratoga

MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
edited March 2011 in Horse Racing Forum
Was going to plan a trip to Saratoga opening weekend. Going to see a concert there on Sat July 23 and figured we would hit the track Sat/Sun and spend the night up there. Any suggestions on where to stay? Just me and my wife. I know staying real close to the track would cost me fortune so if anyone has any suggestions around the area let me know. Thanks!

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited March 2011
    Pretty sure Alan heads up there once a year. I'll email him for you and find out what i can.
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited March 2011
    Mike,

You might as well be prepared to spend big bucks, regardless of whether you stay in a dump or a nice facility. The first time I went many years ago we stayed in the Holiday Inn on Broadway, not too far from the track but not walkable. I told my buddies that it must be a damned nice Holiday Inn for it to charge around $300 per night, but it was just a plain vanilla Holiday Inn, and an old one at that.

Since then, we have stayed at many other properties,all over priced, and I have looked for something more affordable to no avail. The drive from Albany is not bad, takes around 1 hour, but my group is in no condition to drive 1 mile, let alone 45 miles after a day at the Spa and an evening at Siros.

if you want to stay in a nice place, I would recommend Longfellow's Inn, located just off Lake Saratoga and not far from track, and they will shuttle you. The old Prime Hotel in downtown is now a Hilton Convention hotel, but it is right in the middle of beautiful downtown Saratogs Springs, close to all the shops, galleries, restaurants, and they too will offer shuttle service. For years, we stayed in the old grand dam of Saratoga, the GIDDEON-PUTNAM, which is in a park on the outskirts of town with golf course and spa, etc. However, it is 5 star expensive and the average age of the guests appears to be around 95 years old. Now, I'm no kid myself, but even I get a little tired of dogging old folks with portable oxygen tanks and private nurses.

Longfellows Inn is no Four Seasons, in fact it looks like a typical 2 story motel, but it is nice, caters to race fans, has a great restaurant which is in an old converted dairy barn, and is priced as reasonable as it gets during the meet.

Regardless of where you stay, you will have a great time. You may want to contact NYRA about seating, and I recommend getting a table at the Porch Restaurant, good place to be situated and not too pricy for a good seat and a meal.

But Mike, this is not a trip you can do without spending alot of money, so start winning now and put some back for a great two days at the best Racetrack in North America. Also, hope to hell the humidity has not set in while you are there, as it can be brutal.
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited March 2011
    Thanks for the info. Ive been going up there once a year with my dad for the past 15 years. We take the Conway bus up from RI (Day trip) and it is usually about 3 1/2 hours. Wanted to bring my wife up there for the weekend one year and considering there is a concert up there on that weekend figured I would stay a few days. Will check out those places you metioned thanks again.
  • Horsin~AroHorsin~Aro Senior Member
    edited March 2011
    I got an ole friend there you coulda stayed at but it wouldnt work with the wife going as you would have to pay your rent in other ways. That was the worse part of getting married some time ago as you even got a hot breakfast before heading to the track.
  • Horsin~AroHorsin~Aro Senior Member
    edited March 2011
    let me know if you decide to go I may actually be going that weekend also.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited March 2011
    Pretty sure Alan heads up there once a year. I'll email him for you and find out what i can.

Hey DC. Yeah, there are really no good affordable options in Saratoga itself. We often stay in Albany, which is about a 20-25 minute drive up the Northway to the track. Bit of a drive, but you can get pretty cheap rooms there. If he's interested, I could give him more details on where to stay there with quick and easy access to the highway. A closer option is Clifton Park, about halfway. There's a decent Holiday Inn Express there, and some other chain motels I think.

Alan
    edited March 2011
    but it wouldnt work with the wife going as you would have to pay your rent in other ways.

:yes:
    edited March 2011
    Thanks for all the info. Now we might be looking into staying at Lake George for the Friday and Sat night. 2 nights hotel, 2 days at the track, and a concert on Sat night. Wow I better win some $$$