Oaklawn Park 6th- Saturday

John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
edited March 2011 in Horse Racing Forum
OP 6th, mc $30k 3yo 1 1/16

My Hot Springs buddy who gave me the $12.80 winner yesterday also gave me a horse today in this race. I spoke to him a few minutes ago and he confirmed that all systems are GO! BTW, he has given me some good ones this season(and some not so good ones), but he is tight with trainer Mac Robertson and this info comes straight from the source.

#6 MR. GOOD, 8-1, It is not very often that a 3yo makes his first start debut going 1 1/16, but that is what this well bred firster is doing. Trainer believes that he is VERY LIVE in this spot. Has been working long in preparation for this race and trainer reports that the exercise rider has had him under a tight hold and that the colt has been tugging like hell to GO! First class bloodlines would indicate that the distance is no problem. Most of the others in this race will be backing up at the turn, and this firster may very well prevail at a HUGH PRICE!

Not that I've had any luck putting together a winning Exacta at Oaklawn this season, but if you are lucky enough to hit one it is going to be a damned good one as the exotic payoffs at OP have been HUGE!

#2 RECOGNIZE, 9/2, has decent late speed figures and is somewhat proven at this distance.

#11 EN PASSANT, 8-1, Closed well at this level and distance just 13 days ago. Comes right back against others who will be lucky to catch their breath the final 1/16.

In today's feature Mountain Valley Stakes, 3yo sprinting 6 furlongs, this race will be an endurance test as there is speed on top of speed. My Buddy reports that the Louisiana shipper, SMOKE IT RIGHT, 8/5, has been turning heads on the backside. Not much value here,and there are others in here who are certainly more than capable of winning, but he thinks Smoke It Right, #1, is the horse to catch, especially with his rail post and a speed favoring trip.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

Comments

• John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited March 2011
    #6 Mr Good went off at 13-1, broke ok, moved up on the backstretch and was making a mild move approaching the 1/2 mile pole when he drifted out and bumped one to his outside and then came across and bumped the one to his inside. Thereafter, he lost all interest and finished dead fuckin last. So much for placing your hopes, and money, on a first time starter.

However, I did break my Exacta jinx as the #11 was much the best at 5-1 and the #2 held off a strong move from the #1 to hold 2nd.

$2.00 Exacta 11-5 paid $45.00.

Going to parlay my small profit in the 9th on #1 SMOKE IT RIGHT, and either finish the day up or dead even and live to play another day.
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited March 2011
    Smoke It Right shipped up to Oaklawn from south Louisiana, where he was undefeated running at the bull ring tracks. didn't matter where he had been running, this young colt is FAST! In the feature today at OP, he shot out of the gate and quickly assumed a 2 length lead thru a 1/4 in 22.1. Although some made a good move at him coming into the stretch, the race was never in doubt, finishing up in around 1:10, which is very fast @ OP. The public was all over him, 3/2, and a paltry $5.00 winner.

The interview after the race was a HOOT! The owners/Trainers all hail from New Orleans and Lake Charles, where is is MARDI GRAS SEASON! " Dey sore gonna be's a PARRTEE T'NITE WIT DRINKINS AN EATINS!"

The connections talked briefly about stretching this young son of Smoke Glacken out, but I think they may want to dance with the one that brought you, which in this case is sprinting! One to keep an eye on in these graded sprint events later on this spring.