Near-miss @ Gulfstream today

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited March 2011 in Horse Racing Forum
I'm not really one to toot my own horn, but there's a horse i gave out on my site today that i'm pretty proud of. And it was actually a loser, go figure:

Gulfstream - Race 5

#7 Ninety Schillings (10/1 ml)

This one is admittedly pretty dicey, as Ian Wilkes hardly ever wins first time out (1 for his last 51), and is also ice-cold at the current meet (1-for-34). I do think he's worth a stab though, let me tell you why. Wilkes is capable of winning with a firster when he has a good horse, as i remember Capt. Candyman Can's ultra-impressive debut score up at Saratoga a few years ago (at around 20/1, btw). And there's some reason to think this horse might be a good one. He's a son of the very talented filly Madame Pandit (who won her debut, btw), and who also dropped the multiple stakes winner Mea Domina. So he has a right to be a good one for sure, and i also found that his Feb 10 drill came heads-up with Charlie Girl, who came out of that drill to win a maiden race @ Tampa Bay a couple of weeks ago with a powerful late rush. I also expect this guy will be a very big price today, probably even bigger than his 10/1 morning line. Think there's a he could blow up the toteboard here, so despite the high amount of risk i think he deserves a chance.

Here's a video of the race. The horse went off @ 60/1 and missed by less than a length. Would've been far-and-away my biggest winner ever. Paid $28.00 to place, btw.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/USA/GP/2011/3/5/5/race-5

Comments