Jaycito not yet!

HoudiniHoudini Senior Member
edited March 2011 in Horse Racing Forum
ARCADIA, Calif - Jaycito will make his 3-year-old debut, and first start for trainer Bob Baffert, in Saturday’s $250,000 San Felipe Stakes at Santa Anita.

Baffert admits that he has concerns about how Jaycito will behave in the Grade 2 race that is a key prep for the $1 million Santa Anita Derby on April 9.

In the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile at Churchill Downs last November, Jaycito swerved sharply to the outside on the backstretch and eventually finished seventh, 16 lengths behind race winner Uncle Mo.

Jaycito has been well behaved in recent workouts, Baffert said, including five furlongs in 59.80 seconds on Sunday, but the issue is in the back of Baffert’s mind.

“So far, he’s minding his manners, but you don’t know what he’ll do in a race,” Baffert said. “It will be interesting. We’ll learn a lot about Jaycito.”

In Sunday’s workout, Jaycito worked in company with Awesome Patriot, who also starts for Baffert in the San Felipe, which is run over 1 1/16 miles. Awesome Patriot has not started since winning an allowance race over a mile on Dec. 29.

“I had Jaycito behind and taking on dirt, so I think we’re all set,” Baffert said.

Owned by Zayat Stable, Jaycito has yet to start for Baffert, having been previously trained by Mike Mitchell. For Mitchell, Jaycito was second in the Del Mar Futurity on Sept. 8 and won the Grade 1 Norfolk Stakes at Hollywood Park. Jaycito joined Baffert’s stable in November, shortly after the Breeders’ Cup.

The San Felipe is the last major prep in Southern California before the Santa Anita Derby, and is expected to have a strong field.

I expect a ok race from Jaycito,i think he will improve in the Santa Anita Derby and come the 1st Sat of may that will be his 3 race off the layoff.Baffert in the article let Jaycito get some dirt in his face.Dual Qualifier Jayctio could run all day.I bet him in the first KD pool at 20/1.

Comments

• DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited March 2011
    I expect Jaycito to be fully cranked for the Santa Anita.