Brethren

DraynayDraynay Banned
edited March 2011 in Horse Racing Forum
I guess it is easy to toss a horse that loses a race but this one should be really tough in the Arkansas. The outside post did not help this horse last time out and maybe he bounced a little bit off his last performance but this horse has won a lot of races. Tampa compared to other tracks is a deep track and horses can come off this track very fit. The fact is he needs to do well in the Arkansas and I am sure Pletcher will have him ready to go 3rd off a layoff. Remember unlike many in the Derby Brethren loves the dirt at Churchill and has a big win on the surface. A first or second place gets him in the Derby and he should do well stalking the speed. We will see what he is made of when he gets a chance to run on a fast track like Oaklawn.:cool2:

Comments

• rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited March 2011
    there is no excuses to lose in that field...runner up was coming out of a 16k claimer....give me a break...ramon got nervous and put him up in the lead at the half mile pole cause he thought he was a mile better....toss him....stick to uncle mo...
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited March 2011
    Uncle Mo is not running in the Arkansas. But Brethren is. Ramon was in a tough spot. I go to Tampa all the time and horses that far out don't do well in 2 turn races. With a better post and a faster track I expect Brethren to bounce back and win the Arkansas. His Breeding in top knotch and he is coming into the race 3rd off a layoff. He won 3 in a row and had a jockey a little to confident. It happens. Should he win the Arkansas there will be a lot of people jumping back on the bandwagon. Remember Onion and Upset ?
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited March 2011
    Brethren won't hit the board in the Ark derby if a stellar filed lines up for it. I will be back the day the entires are drawn for that race and tell you if he hits the board, he is as bogus as his brother Super Saver.

fb
  • cinfrontcinfront Senior Member
    edited March 2011
    Mucho Macho Man is the horse I like in that one. With Brethren, Dominguez did make this premature move inthe first turn. I remember cause I was there with a couple of friends. We acutually looked at eachother and said " what the hell is Ramon doing rushing that horse up like".
    Mucho Mucho Man needs the to get in, so I really think they'll run a good race.
    I hear Jaycito is coming to NYC for The Wood. This could be a smart move by Baffert, knowing that Uncle Mo doesn't need the money just a good race under his belt for The Derby. He can send out Jaycito to a close to allout performance to win it and get inthe Derby. Unless Big Mo, is all that and, wins easily to keep his record going.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited March 2011
    You guys know i've been big on Brethren ever since his debut, and i guess i still am to some extent, but i have no idea what happened in the Tampa Bay Derby. That was just ugly.

I will say that in watching the race, i noticed on the backstretch that Brethren didn't appear to be moving all that comfortably. It was a night-and-day difference frrom the Sam Davis, where he looked powerful throughout. Perhaps he didn't enjoy racing on the lead, or perhaps there was some other type of issue (health-related) involved. Impossible to say at this point.

I do think that he probably deserves another chance, and what better time than the Arkansas Derby, when people are jumping off the bandwagon in droves. Coupled with The Factor's impressive Rebel win, i think we may see quite the price on Brethren, perhaps something in excess of 10/1 (depending on who else shows up, i guess). It should probably also be noted that Brethren's older brother Super Saver (also trained by Pletcher) came back to run very well in the Arkansas Derby (and then win in Kentucky) after losing as the favorite in last year's Tampa Bay Derby. Just sayin'.
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited March 2011
    I think Brethren will bounce back in the Arkansas and pick up place for sure. Can he get the win? With the right post I think so. I believe he is a little tired of coming out of the 10 hole.