Florida Derby play from DiscreetPicks

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited April 2011 in Horse Racing Forum
Gulfstream - Race 10

#7 Dialed In (2/1 ml)

You probably remember we were on this horse in the Holy Bull, and i like him again in this spot. Got some valuable two-turn experience last time out, and ran pretty well imo in a race that he CLEARLY wasn't cranked up for, and just because he happened to lose @ 1/5 that day, it seems that a lot of people have lost faith in him. Short morning line, as you can see, but he should be a pretty solid price here with the 9/5 ml favorite (and impressive Fountain of Youth winner) Soldat taking a ton of money. There will also be some support for To Honor and Serve, Stay Thirsty, and perhaps even Flashpoint (whom we had in the Hutcheson you may recall). This is a very tough spot for Soldat, having drawn the rail again, but this time to the immediate inside of To Honor and Serve, who figures to be very prominent early, along with Flashpoint likely being gunned from the outside. Seems likely to be pressed very hard if he goes for the early lead again, and if he doesn't, he could potentially get boxed in along the inside. In any case, the pace figures to be very quick for the distance, which should set it up beautifully for Dialed In, who incidentally is sitting at #17 on the graded earnings list and is unquestionably cranked pretty tight for this one. Figures to improve a good bit off his two-turn prep race (where conversely, he was asked to close into a dawdling pace), and could very well blow past the tiring leaders here just as he did in the Holy Bull. The only real question is whether Dialed In can be as effective around two turns as he is around one, but frankly he might not even need to be, the way the race sets up here. Anything close to the kick he showed in the Holy Bull would likely get it done here. Could very well leap back into the Derby picture in a big way, not that he ever really left it to begin with. Expecting a pretty strong run from this guy, in the neighborhood of 5/2 or 3/1.

HRT record:

78 for 293 (27%)

$655.80 mutuels ($8.41 avg)

Comments

• DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited April 2011
    he likes the track and the distance. Stay Thirsty and THS will fight it out for place.:drinking:
  • MikenyceMikenyce Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    Good Call
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited April 2011
    Dialed In had to struggle to beat Shakleford by a nose ? Soldat was allowed to watch the race and Stay Thirsty and THS are just not good enough. Dialed In is going to get all the press but let's face it he had to struggle to catch a very average horse. This just makes the case for Uncle Mo winning the Derby with ease.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited April 2011
    Dialed In wins @ $7.80
    edited April 2011
    So what's the consensus on Soldat now? As i mentioned above (the reason i'm bumping this thread), i thought that Soldat was in a pretty tough spot trip-wise in the Florida Derby. I'm willing to throw that one out, i think. Looks like he's come back to train well, and i think he could offer some value in the Derby with his bandwagon seemingly empty these days. Thought's?

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/62621/soldat-sizzles-five-furlongs-at-palm-meadows
  • Horsin~AroHorsin~Aro Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    Beyond struggling at the distance for the FD, he did seem to be washed out before the race which could make it a throwout. I believe the FOY had the fastest splits of all the preps. Would be hard to leave off some tickets.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    He could be the true and lone speed come May 7, 2010, he will be on my tickets.
    edited April 2011
    I don't think he needs the lead, he showed that in his turf races. That's one of the reasons I like him. I don't know why you think he'd be the lone speed though, not with The Factor still in the race.