Toby’s Corner Update

fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
edited April 2011 in Horse Racing Forum
Toby’s Corner was shipped back to his home at Fair Hill training center last night and will be prepared for the Kentucky Derby. Connections continued to express surprise at his win.

“I wasn’t expecting him to beat Uncle Mo; the horse was so hyped up,” trainer Graham Motion said. “He’s a steady, improving horse who needed the distance, and the mile-and-an-eighth and the blinkers were a good combination for him.”

Toby’s Corner overcame a demanding journey to win the Wood: The race chart footnotes describe him as “buried behind and amongst rivals on the far turn … forced to pause once again as the field approached the quarter pole … altered course outward just past the three-sixteenths pole …”

“He had a kind of a Derby-type experience yesterday,” Motion said. Toby’s Corner won in a time of 1:49.93, earning a 94 Beyer Speed Figure.

Owner-breeder Dianne Cotter and Motion had never once spoken of the Kentucky Derby before the Wood, the trainer said, but yesterday, after the victory over Uncle Mo, the subject finally came up.

“She just asked me if we were going, and I said we were,” Motion said. “I just didn’t want to do this for the sake of it. I wanted this horse to take me there.”

Motion said Toby’s Corner will train up to the Kentucky Derby on the Tapeta surface at Fair Hill and ship in late to Churchill Downs.

--Edited from track notes

Comments

• DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited April 2011
    Yeah that 94 Beyer should make him a real threat come Derby Day. Pass.
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited April 2011
    The best thing to come out of Toby winning the Wood is Eddie Castro heading to the Derby. I bet on him often in 2005 when he was king at Calder. I was there the day he set the record for wins on a single card.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited April 2011
    It bothers me that i was on Toby's Corner in the Gotham, but not in the Wood. Damn horse...
  • Polamalu43Polamalu43 Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    DRAY-

Below is a comment directed towards me after I said that Brethern would have to jump 14 in his BSF beat The Factor in the Ark Derby.

"THEY are sending Dance City !!! Brethren will be adding blinkers ! Let the race of speed begin !

83 Beyer ? Do you handicap based on Beyers ? Good luck."

Now you post this "Yeah that 94 Beyer should make him a real threat come Derby Day." Pass.

I need some clarification here my friend and don't give me this pace BS either. IF Brethern is fast enough to win the Arkansas Derby WITH A BSF of an 83, to beat The Factor, how is TOBY not fast enough to win the KD with a 94?????????? You talk out of both sides of your mouth!

So which is it? Just a simple question!
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited April 2011
    Draynay wrote: »
    Yeah that 94 Beyer should make him a real threat come Derby Day. Pass.

Take a look at the Wood winner, Florida Derby winner and Arkansas Derby winner this year and throw everything else out.

Draynay 03 Feb 2011 3:18 PM
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    I'm not even sure what to say. This guy is the biggest retard ever. But, honestly, I always thought he was a little kid, the fact that he's a grown man with a wife is pretty amazing.
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited April 2011
    I am 6 foot 4 inches and 235 lbs. when people meet me they are MUCH nicer in person. Seems many in their Moms basement aren't so nice.