Oaks Showdown

John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
edited April 2011 in Horse Racing Forum
Is Larry Jones in a dilemma over his two young fillies? I don't think so and here is why.

Summer Soiree goes to Turfway to run in GIII @ one mile and keeps regular rider Gabe Saez. She romps over this field to win by 11 lengths, but the fractional times were average. Interesting to note that the 4th place finisher in that race, Lilacs And Lace, just wired the field at GI Ashland., but also in average times.Summer Soiree's wins and the margins of victory are misleading and says little for the others running in GI Ashland.

On the other hand, Joyful Victory stays in Arkansas to run in GII Fantasy, gets Mike Smith to come over to ride, and wins easily with only mild asking. J V's late pace speed figures are huge.

Now we come to R Heat Lightning, easy winner of last two against what now appears to be a very average group at Gulfstream Oaks. In that race, RHL rated of a quick pace and pulled away to win going 1 1/8. This fillie is the real deal, but my pace figures tend to favor Joyful Victory slightly in mid-race pace, but Joyful Victory's late pace speed figures are vastly superior.

I know where my money will be on Oaks Day, and I hope I have a shitload of it after Forum's race so I can turn around and parlay it on Joyful Victory!

Comments

• John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    Well, I guess I've lost my mind because as I was writing this post I completely forgot that Summer Soiree was sold to Team Valor and transfered out of Larry Jones' barn. You tend to get these brain farts when you get my age!
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    its ok john...in this business soon as horses win maiden races or little stakes they are gobbled up by the big guys....i understand from the little guy view but it happens way to often...i cant wait for the oaks and i just ope the weather is good..
  • kingoftherapidkingoftherapid Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    like i did in the fantasy. i will throw all my money at JV. LJ compares her to Eight Belles, but I honestly think she can be just as good or even better. Just would have loved to see how good Eight Belles could have been.!
  • DraynayDraynay Banned
    edited April 2011
    I will be betting big on RHL on Oaks day. As far as I am concerned she is a lock to win if she doesn't go in the Derby.
  • kingoftherapidkingoftherapid Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    Sweet. :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown: