Triple crown medals,assault and citation

cowboycowboy Junior Member
edited April 2011 in Horse Racing Forum
im curious if any of you know anything about the gold plated, silver table medals from triple crown winning horses assault and citation.they were left to me by my grandfather and i can only find information regarding the horses,nothing about the medals.do you guys know the value of them?they are clearly rare,as i have searched high and low.who were they awarded to?thanks so much for your interest
joe

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited April 2011
    Wow, no idea. You might try contacting the racetracks, Belmont Park (NYRA) or Churchill Downs.
  • cowboycowboy Junior Member
    edited April 2011
    well between me and my sisters we have 6 different medals starting in 1918 i believe.and actually the only info i could find is this post .

Triple Crown medallions: Who's knowledgeable in horse racing memorabilia ?

my grandfather lived in tarpon springs and his memorial was about a week after this posting,my mom who went came home with them and said they were worth 500 each,i find this and its all i can find!but it does show that there may be more than one of each.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited April 2011
    Good luck with them. After you gain some information about their value, you might try contacting a reputable auction house? That might be a good way to go. And there's always eBay, I guess...
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    cowboy wrote: »
    well between me and my sisters we have 6 different medals starting in 1918 i believe.and actually the only info i could find is this post .

Triple Crown medallions: Who's knowledgeable in horse racing memorabilia ?

my grandfather lived in tarpon springs and his memorial was about a week after this posting,my mom who went came home with them and said they were worth 500 each,i find this and its all i can find!but it does show that there may be more than one of each.

Don't sell them, keep them in the family as your grandfarther has done. He had enough respect and thought highly enough of you to pass them along. You will cherish them more as time goes on and one day you can pass them to your son/daughter or grandchild. The money you prosper for them isn't life changing and will be gone as time goes. KEEP THEM!!!!!!

fb