Mariners/Tigers side and total for Thursday, 4/28

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited April 2011 in Horse Racing Forum
Mariners +105

Highly-touted rookie Michael Pineda has been absolutely brilliant so far, and is getting plus money vs. a Tigers team that just got shut down by the struggling Erik Bedard (who may possibly be turning it around, something to watch). Opposing starter Brad Penny has been very inconsistent thus far, and does not deserve to be favored in this matchup, not even with the better offense and the home park behind him. Incidentally, the Tigers' offense is missing one of it's key components right now with Victor Martinez on the DL. Good value on the M's here.

UNDER 8, -105

I already mentioned Pineda, who's been huge, although i failed to mention that this is his first time through the league, which is often the time you want to play rookie pitchers (it's a definite edge when the batters aren't yet familiar with them). As for Penny, as hit-and-miss as he's been so far this year, all of the damage has come on the road. At home, he's been great, posting a 1.98 era and 0.80 whip thru almost 14 innings. Small sample size, sure, but Comerica is an excellent pitcher's park (averaging just over 7 runs a game right now) and that may have a lot to do with it. Plus, we know that the M's don't have the strongest offense in the world. I realize that this analysis kind of flies in the face of my side-analysis above, but i still think the M's rate better than a coin-flip here, and there are definitely reasons to expect a low-scoring ballgame here. Especially considering the park effects, as mentioned above.

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited April 2011
    Mariners win, 7-2. Ended up breaking even on the pair, but was looking great for the sweep with the M's leading 4-2 in the 8th inning. A 3-run homer with two outs sent it over by a run.