CD Sat Night 9:39 edt race 8

John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
edited April 2011 in Horse Racing Forum
Cliff's Edge Derby Trial GIII $200,000 1 mile

The most competitive race of the day as one time derby hopefuls are either cutting back in distance or stretching out and hoping to collect a big check for a winning effort.

#8 INDIANO, 9/2

My friend in Louisville reports that Florida trainer Marty Wolfson has been in Louisville for the past few days to oversee his entry and Wolfson told him that his horse came out of the Swale in great shape and has never looked better. He expects a real speed battle with no less than 6 horses going out to the front and chasing Travelin Man for as far as they can. Wolfson thinks his horse will sit off the battle up front and have plenty left for the stretch drive as the leaders begin to tire from their early efforts. This horse is the Beast Of Panama and has alot of experience running under the lights.

Clearly, you could make a case for many in this race. #2 Travelin Man has super speed, as does #5 JJ's Lucky Train, and the #3 Machen is the class of the group cutting back in distance, and the Assman ships in his Calif 1st stringer, #6 Dominus off a big win at SA. Shapes up to be the best race of the weekend!

GOOD LUCK!

Comments

• husker70husker70 Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    John----with You On The #8 In My Mix.....my Key Is Assmans 'Dominus'...very Strong Race Back West....I Think Pletcher Will Be Beat Here....using The 10,8,7 And Betting The 10 Across...will Get A Price 'cause Of Pletcher.....
    Lets Get Some.....................agree About Amoss......though I Had The Box...
    edited April 2011
    husker70 wrote: »
    John----with You On The #8 In My Mix.....my Key Is Assmans 'Dominus'...very Strong Race Back West....I Think Pletcher Will Be Beat Here....using The 10,8,7 And Betting The 10 Across...will Get A Price 'cause Of Pletcher.....
    Lets Get Some.....................agree About Amoss......though I Had The Box...

CORRECTION HERE ...TOO MUCH GOING ON....INVOLVED IN DRAFT...NEEED TO PROOF READ...
    RACE 8 DERBY TRAILS....USING THE #6..'DOMINUS' WITH THE 8,5......
    LOOKED AHEAD TO R10 ---INWHICH 10,8,7 IS MY PLAYS...10 OF ASSMANS...
  • JermanJerman Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    Husker: Race 10 the 8 has scratched
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    Race 10

Can't speak for Husker, but the #10 looks like a key play for me!
    Will make a win wager and key over the 4/5/7 in various exotics.

Good Luck!
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited April 2011
    Horse-to-Watch Dominus is entered in this one, straight out of his maiden win. Also note that Leparoux is getting off Indiano in order to ride. I think Travelin Man will be very tough here, but i expect Dominus to run well. Should be a big price, too.
    edited April 2011
    I am told that the switch of Leparoux to Dominus was in the works for a while because Leparoux's agent wanted to get him aboard the Assman's horse. This probably has alot to do with the Assman having a very good string of horses leaving California and heading east to Ky & NY. G. Gomez picks up the mount on Indiano for Marty Wolfson and this should help the odds on Indiano as Leparoux will attract alot of $$$ at the windows. However, this all may be for naught if Travelin Man is not tested from the start. If TM can get away with fractions of 23 & 46 & 1:12 then this race will be over. I'm hoping that TM will be pressured and begin to tire after going 6f in 1:10 and open up the door for 5/6/8, which I'm playing in an Ex Bx.
  • tmffmtmffm Banned
    edited April 2011
    I'm not expecting Travelin Man to try for the lead. And, I would imagine that Johnny V realizes that the horse runs better when allowed to stalk. The race he lost, he was on the inside and on the lead. The two wins had him in stalking position. In fact, last time out he rated very nicely is slow fractions. If the connections want him to lose, they send him. If allowed to sit just behind the pace, he has a huge advantage over the field. And, Johnny V is a master at getting to the outside from the rail. I don't suspect he'll feel the need to overly rush this horse early to get position -- as he runs better when not on the lead.
  • Horsin~AroHorsin~Aro Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    Im doing an exacta box and tri 5,3 with 5,3,2,8. Think JJ may have a big race in store here. Also race 7 $10DD #10 with 5,3
  • Horsin~AroHorsin~Aro Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    So much for the DD
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    One of the top ten most expensive nose-outs in my life. He was home free too, bad ride IMO to lose that race.
    edited April 2011
    Assman's horse, #6 Dominus, ran too good of race not to win. #3 Machen kept back thru 23.1 46.3 and 1:10.3 and came late with a surge to get the win..#5 JJ's Lucky man ran an even 3rd. But Dominus was a good looking 2nd as he prompted the fast pace and held on well for 2nd.

My pick, #8 Indiano, for some unknown reason was placed up front and had nothing left for the stretch drive. I don't want to sound like a broken record, but I have said before that Garrett Gomez is the most overrated jockey riding today! I know for a fact that he was under directions to take back and come late, like Machen did!

I would like to hear the excuse Gomez gave to Wolfson after the race, but my guess is that Wolfson didn't give a shit what he had to say. Just another example of a jockey who thinks they know more than they do and end up costing the horse a better finish. BTW, I think Gomez attained this false impression of his own abilities via the fools at TVG who are based on the West Coast and for some reason started calling Gomez one of the best riders in america. What a fucking joke!

Going to try to recoup with #10 NEEDADRINK in the 10th.
    edited April 2011
    While I'm at it, here's more bitching on Gomez. In both N. America starts, Indiano came late from off the pace out in the middle of the track. Tonight, gomez takes him out just off the lead and then guides him along the rail around the turn where he has no chance to get rolling. What in the hell was Gomez doing? I have seen this hot head jock pull this kind of bullshit more times than I can remember and I will play his mounts accordingly in the future. Now, I fell a little better, but not that much. Come on NEEDADRINK!
    edited April 2011
    I gave Dominus out on my site today. Brutal beat there, i thought he had it won. Huge run by Machen to get up in the final jump. I can't believe how much the exacta paid, unreal!
    edited April 2011
    Assman's horse, #6 Dominus, ran too good of race not to win. #3 Machen kept back thru 23.1 46.3 and 1:10.3 and came late with a surge to get the win..#5 JJ's Lucky man ran an even 3rd. But Dominus was a good looking 2nd as he prompted the fast pace and held on well for 2nd.

My pick, #8 Indiano, for some unknown reason was placed up front and had nothing left for the stretch drive. I don't want to sound like a broken record, but I have said before that Garrett Gomez is the most overrated jockey riding today! I know for a fact that he was under directions to take back and come late, like Machen did!

I would like to hear the excuse Gomez gave to Wolfson after the race, but my guess is that Wolfson didn't give a shit what he had to say. Just another example of a jockey who thinks they know more than they do and end up costing the horse a better finish. BTW, I think Gomez attained this false impression of his own abilities via the fools at TVG who are based on the West Coast and for some reason started calling Gomez one of the best riders in america. What a fucking joke!

Going to try to recoup with #10 NEEDADRINK in the 10th.

Good Luck John. I'm not sure Dominus ever saw the winner. I just (barely) got the 5 home in my desperation late pick 3 (Was big on him, light on the 8). I'm HUGE to the 10 here too (light on a few others 1,4,7). And then have the 5,6,9 HEAVY in the last, and light on the Gomez horse just because. Let's get out here.
    edited April 2011
    I gave Dominus out on my site today. Brutal beat there, i thought he had it won. Huge run by Machen to get up in the final jump. I can't believe how much the exacta paid, unreal!

Yea. If I had seen that it was even close to that I would have backed up my bets with a classy horse like Machen. So brutal for me DC, I was already counting my cash mid-stretch.
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, me too. What makes it even worse is that i bet Machen in both the Risen Star and Louisiana Derby, and i got off him here. Nothing wrong with the way Dominus ran though, and i honestly though he he would be twice the price of Machen. Instead, he actually went off @ 5/1, with Machen slightly higher @ 6/1.
    edited April 2011
    It's about to get more expensive. Hopefully my pick 3 gets me out.

ACCEPTED: 78284520389040 [cancel this wager] CD #8 $2.50 Pick-4 2,6,7,​WT,5,8,​WT,1,4,7,10,​WT,5,6,7,9 none $ 240.00 -
    edited April 2011
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    It's about to get more expensive. Hopefully my pick 3 gets me out.

ACCEPTED: 78284520389040 [cancel this wager] CD #8 $2.50 Pick-4 2,6,7,​WT,5,8,​WT,1,4,7,10,​WT,5,6,7,9 none $ 240.00 -

Well the $5 dollar pick 3 got me out for the day, but that was about a $15k nose for me.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, me too. What makes it even worse is that i bet Machen in both the Risen Star and Louisiana Derby, and i got off him here. Nothing wrong with the way Dominus ran though, and i honestly though he he would be twice the price of Machen. Instead, he actually went off @ 5/1, with Machen slightly higher @ 6/1.

Same here DC as I have been on Machen in his last two and was back on him tonight but was talking to someone today and they told me Dominus outworked Macleans Music and that is why he opened so short tonight. Brutal nose for me also and I dont' even play a bullshit exacta with these two. I'm still a ROOKIE in this game.

fb
    edited April 2011
    John ----one Got Away From Me There On Dominus...'and At The Wire'????
    I'm Like DC....surprised The Exacta And All Exotics Pd That Well...i Added Your 3 To My 6,8,5 For Exotics....i Had A Feeling On Pletchers Horse...note I Said Wouldn't Be There....
    Too Many Seconds On My Plays At Churchill...thank God I Bet Across And Use On Top/bot In Exotics......
    Onto Tomorrow.......thank God The Draft Is Over....back To Horses...