Belmont Stakes Thread

2»

Comments

• fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited June 2011
    Yep the same kind Curlin wore in his last few races. It's not the shoes it's the horses stride.
  • cooziecoozie Junior Member
    edited June 2011
    Is anyone here going to be there? I got my tickets today. Section Z on the 2nd deck. Very excited to say the least.
    edited June 2011
    Stay Thirsty has had a series of three beautiful works over Big Sandy and this is a colt that didn't care for the CH strip and never got a fast track to work over. He is bred for the distance and his price will be huge since Ramon D has jumped ship. But we have the hottest jock on his back for the Belmont in JJ and this jock has been winning in bunches. You have been warned about this colt and if you don't use him in your exotics or verticals shame on you.

fb

Stay Thirsty, twelfth in the Derby, has now breezed three times since then for trainer Todd Pletcher.

Stay Thirsty had Javier Castellano aboard for the move. Castellano rode Stay Thirsty in a fifth-place effort in last November's Breeders' Cup Juvenile. Ramon Dominguez was the colt's jockey in his three races so far this year.

“I thought he worked really well," Pletcher said. "It was a good solid five-eighths, a minute and two-fifths with a strong gallop out. We were happy with it. Javier will ride him in the race."

May 22, Stay Thirsty breezed four in :47.80 (2/72) at BEL.
    May 29, Stay Thirsty worked six in 1:12.00 (1/4) at BEL.
    June 5, Stay Thirsty breezed five in 1:00.2 (3/15) at BEL.
    edited June 2011
    MMM had the best of 15 5f breeze today over Big Sandy with Ramon D in the saddle. He went 5f in 59.57 and they are stating he looks no worst the wear off his last two efforts.
  • SirBearSirBear Senior Member
    edited June 2011
    Nehro and Shackleford will be your exacta. Not sure yet which way.
    edited June 2011
    His workmate won over the CH surface yesterday and AK is sitting on tilt for The Test of Champions. Click the link to read the article.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/63421/animal-kingdom-zips-over-belmont-surface
  • 2W2P2S2W2P2S Senior Member
    edited June 2011
    FB, you have any private clocker report on Victoria's Wildcat 4F work yesterday at Belmont?
    edited June 2011
    2W2P2S wrote: »
    FB, you have any private clocker report on Victoria's Wildcat 4F work yesterday at Belmont?

I was told she her breeze was very good they she did it on her own, I think off the top of my head she was in the top 5 of the 70 that worked. I also was told that Life At Ten worked real well yesterday and could rebound next time out. They stated the most visual impressive work was Travelin Man of yesterdays work.

fb
    edited June 2011
    fbwinners wrote: »
    I was told she her breeze was very good they she did it on her own, I think off the top of my head she was in the top 5 of the 70 that worked. I also was told that Life At Ten worked real well yesterday and could rebound next time out. They stated the most visual impressive work was Travelin Man of yesterdays work.

fb

TYVM
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited June 2011
    You like her for the Acorn?
    edited June 2011
    I'm going to take a shot against Animal Kingdom. I think the distance might catch up with this horse. His running style is not going to be condusive to success. Yes, he will make a big run, but he will flatten out, a la Mine That Bird. Not to suggest he's Mine That Bird, but MTB had a similar running style and was sharp during the triple crown. This time, maybe Nakatani doesn't rush Nehro to the lead and just lets the son of Mineshaft sit close to Shackleford's pace. I think there's a chance Shack can wire this field, as he has shown stubbornness on the lead and will be tough to pass. In any event, I think the pace will be moderate and it will be very hard for a dead closer like Animal Kingdom to sweep past the field and then hold it together in the final quarter mile. Basically it goes down like this: Shackleford controls the pace 24/49/114, tracked closely by Nehro and a couple of no-hopers. Animal Kingdom makes a huge move to the lead at the half mile pole and even gains a short advantage. Then he begins to flatten out and Velasquez discovers he has no horse at the top of the lane. Only AK has softened up Shackleford enough so that Nehro kicks past both of them.

1. Nehro. 2. Shackleford 3. Either Animal Kingdom or Master Of Hounds.
  • MontanoMontano Junior Member
    edited June 2011
    1. Animal Kingdom
    2. Nehro
    3. Shackleford
    4. Master of Hounds
    5. MuchoMachoMan
    edited June 2011
    143RD BELMONT STAKES

PP HORSE TRAINER JOCKEY ODDS

1 Master of Hounds Aidan O'Brien Garrett Gomez 10-1

2 Stay Thirsty Todd Pletcher Javier Castellano 20-1

3 Ruler on Ice Kelly Breen Jose Valdivia Jr. 20-1

4 Santiva Eddie Kenneally Shaun Bridgmohan 15-1

5 Brilliant Speed Tom Albertrani Joel Rosario 15-1

6 Nehro Steve Asmussen Corey Nakatani 4-1

7 Monzon Ignacio Correas Jose Lezcano 30-1

8 Prime Cut Neil Howard Edgar Prado 15-1

9 Animal Kingdom Graham Motion John Velazquez 2-1

10 Mucho Macho Uno Kathy Ritvo Ramon Dominguez 10-1

11 Isn't He Perfect Doodnauth Shivmangal Rajiv Maragh 30-1

12 Shackleford Dale Romans Jesus Castanon 9-2
    edited June 2011
    You like her for the Acorn?

Yeah. Hopefully no speed bias..............Turbulent Descent will be tough, but if this filly gets near her in the stretch, I'll take my chances.
  • Rgut3Rgut3 Junior Member
    edited June 2011
    My trifecta ticket will look like this....6/1,3,9,10,12....cha-ching!!!
  • THESLEWTHESLEW Junior Member
    edited June 2011
    First off, I am new here and the only reason I am here is to see if there is anyone that i can talk to about some serious horse racing. I use the ragozins religiously along with DRF of course and have become pretty successful including hitting the derby (Len Friedman still a legend picked it) not cold but hitting the exacta was good enough. Now as far as I can see here on sheets and handicapping NEHRO is a layover on paper. A winner he is not and that is a fact as he has a MSW under his belt and 3-1 maybe 7/2 is proabably not worth the price but there really is nothing here. Animal Kingdom regressed tremendously int he Preakness and realyl is not in a good cycle. Anyone have info. on Nehro how he is working out. I have some friends in the business that tell me MMM lost a lot of weight and looks awful but Nehro is the one of interest due to the extra layoff and good pattern.
    edited June 2011
    Say what you want about AK regressing, but i still think he ran pretty well. He figures quite formidable once again, i think.
    edited June 2011
    Belmont Stakes (gr. I)

1. Master of Hounds 10-1
    2. Stay Thirsty 20-1
    3. Ruler On Ice 20-1
    4. Santiva Shaun 15-1
    5. Brilliant Speed 15-1
    6. Nehro 4-1
    7. Monzon 30-1
    8. Prime Cut 15-1
    9. Animal Kingdom 2-1
    10. Mucho Macho Man 10-1
    11. Isn't He Perfect 30-1
    12. Shackleford 9-2
    edited June 2011
    Tough to figure out Animal Kingdom. On the one hand, he looks like he's obvious quality but from a form-pattern perspective he looks like a stone cold bet-against. Big top in the Derby followed by a pretty strong regression in the Preakness and now he has his third tough race in five weeks. I'm almost sure he's going to have some impact on the race. He'll make his bid, but at expected odds of 6-5 or 7-5, I have to go against.

Nehro is the most logical winner, but from what I have read, he does not like slop at all. He trained poorly in slop before the Derby and if you read between the lines, his connections know he doesn't like a sloppy track. It's looking increasingly likely that the race will be contested on an off track on Saturday. If it's dry, I'm in this horse's corner.

Which gets us back to Shackleford. A horse with wonderful tactical speed who has shown stubbornness on the front end. Since this is such a strategic horse race, it will be fun to see what the other jockeys do to try and soften him up. He will surely get a slower pace than he saw in Balty. I'm curious about Mucho Macho Man. I hate him in the race, but I wonder tactically if he gets sent to the lead or near the lead. He's hardly had a call in the other two triple crown races, except for his clunk-up job at the end of the derby. He could make life tough for Shackleford though.

On a wet track, I give Shackleford a heck of a chance to put the field to sleep. In terms of bombers, I'm interested in Brilliant Speed, based on his breeding and his improving figs.
    edited June 2011
    2W2P2S wrote: »

She is back in the Mother Goose at 12/1 ml, she might be worth a stab this weekend.