New to horse racing

dschiavidschiavi Junior Member
edited May 2011 in Horse Racing Forum
Hello everyone thanks for clicking on my post.
I am from Boston, MA I live pretty close to Suffolk Downs. I have only been there once and did not know what I was doing or how to bet. I have since then researched and attempted to learn the basics of betting on horses. I have opened an account on betphoenix.com to use the Racebook. Have had minimal luck my first few days hitting Belmont Park Race #8 $2.00 Trifecta (5 / 2 / 7) $2.00bet for a net total $117.50. I also hit a couple Exacta for $11 and $14.
I will most likely be heading to Rockingham Park or Suffolk Downs tomorrow, Thursday.

I just had a couple questions:

Can I play 10cent supers and 50cent trifecta on simulcast at Suffolk or Rockingham?
Does anyone know or can explain to me how to use the betting machines instead of the counter?
Is the Daily Race Form a good place to start for me?
Any other advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advanced!

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited May 2011
    Hello and welcome!

First off, not sure about the 10-cent supers or 5-cent trifectas; it might depend on the race.

The betting machines (i'm assuming Autotote) are easy to use. Just purcahse a voucher from a teller, then feed the voucher into the machine and you should be able to pull up the betting menus, which are pretty self-explanatory. Tracks, race numbers, types of bets, amounts, horse numbers, etc.

Yeah, you'll need to learn how to read the Racing Form. It's pretty easy once you know how (and i believe there may be a page with instrucytions on how to read the PP's, which will help you a lot. If not, i'm sure you can Google it.

The only other advice i can give is simply to read the forum. I think you've stumbled onto a good one; lots of knowledgable horseplayers here!
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited May 2011
    Welcome to HRT Forum!

You are going to a track which many of us do not follow on a regular basis. However, it matters not as your chance of a good payoff is as good or better at a track like Suffolk as it is at a NYRA track.

I would offer the following advice:

1. Be a railbird. Go to the slab along the rail and don't be afraid to seek out someone to ask questions. You will find that horse players are generally very approachable and are quite willing to offer advice, be it good or bad.

2. Look for hot trainers and/or jockeys. This info is easily attainable from the drf or a program.

3. Have fun. Look at each race as a puzzle and try to put the pieces together to solve the puzzle.

4. Don't be misled by easy selections based on some bullshit deal like Beyer figures. If it were that easy we would all be rich and retired! Over time you will find certain angles which you like and that work for you, class drops, distance, equipment, and many others.

Good Luck and Have Fun!
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited May 2011
    Welcome aboard, good luck with your circuit.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited May 2011
    ISELLPICS wrote: »
    I am going to give you the best advice you will ever get if you want to bet on horses. STAY AWAY from Suffolk Downs. The track can be fast one day and abnormally slow the next. It seems to change throughout the day, also. The quality of horses if inferior and the results of the races are completely out of whack.

Having said that, i would suggest that you start out betting on a track like Delaware Park. The racing surface is one of the best in the country in regards to the the way it is kept. There is rarely a bias (favoring of speed, or closers, or the rail or the outside) and the field are about 7.5 per race, which will give a beginner like you a feeling that you can learn, as you will hit some races.

I can answer any questions you have on the subject.

Good luck,

steve
    www.wealthfrommypc.webs.com

Each post gets funnier.