Comments

• dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited June 2011
    With the handicap division in a continued state of disarray, and with this crop of 3-year-olds widely considered to be average at best, it was with great interest that I opened up the latest Breeders’ Cup Classic future book odds from the Wynn Las Vegas Race and Sports Book when it hit my email box. I just couldn’t imagine what I was about to see.

What I saw was, the current favorite for the Classic at Wynn is Twirling Candy at 10-1, followed closely behind by Crown Of Thorns at 12-1. Both of these horses are talented, but Twirling Candy has yet to win a race over older horses, while Crown Of Thorns has never been thought of as a 1 ¼ mile horse. If I were to venture a guess, I would say these two Southern California-based horses are the first two favorites in the Classic future book betting at least partly because of Vegas’s close proximity to SoCal. Nevertheless, these odds do hold some degree of validity because they are largely based on actual money wagered so far.

Next in line at 14-1 is Dialed In, followed by First Dude at 18-1, and Gio Ponti at 20-1. There is a growing suspicion that Dialed In might be at his best as a one turn closer, while First Dude is only in the initial stages of shedding his label as a habitual disappointment by altering his running style to closing. As for Gio Ponti, he is world-class on turf and synthetic, but he is a virtual unknown on dirt, an important consideration since this year’s Breeders’ Cup is back at Churchill Downs.

Animal Kingdom, who finished clearly in front of Dialed In when he won the Kentucky Derby and finished second in the Preakness, is currently 25-1. So, too, is Nehro, the Derby runner up who is still eligible to an entry level allowance race.

There are, of course, many other horses with posted prices for the Classic, but I’ll mention just two more. Shackleford, who also finished in front of Dialed In when he finished fourth in the Derby and won the Preakness, is 30-1. Uncle Mo, last year’s champion 2-year-old male and whose status is uncertain as he recovers from a stomach ailment, is also 30-1.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited June 2011
    I'm done with futures from this point on. It's ok to make a token future wager, but I have lost my ass on some big plays of late and my horses didn't even make into the starting gate. Majesticperfection for the biggest one. I feel I jinxed that horse, I had all of my personal clients on that one and I think we killed the horse, it was just to good to be true. At least I made up for it on BC day as I crushed Big Drama and caught the super for a huge payday. But for now I'm done betting multiple nickles and dimes on futures. Just call me a ROOKIE!!!!

fb
  • rayphilrayphil Senior Member
    edited June 2011
    dialed in at 14-1 is a joke....ill take ak or nehro at 25-1 though...
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited June 2011
    Couldn't find a FIELD BET. If I could I would empty the BR and hope Cowboy Larry sends HDG..

Playing this race in advance of Sept/Oct is assinine and only set up to benefit the books!
    edited June 2011
    i lost a couple of bets on the derby and thats when i hung it up...you need everything to go your way and then some to win.
  • THESLEWTHESLEW Junior Member
    edited June 2011
    FB you say personal clients. WHat do you use besides information? Rags? or just DRF?
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited June 2011
    Playing this race in advance of Sept/Oct is assinine and only set up to benefit the books!

Not true. I nearly made a killing on Bernardini (25/1) some years back. You just need to understand the risks involved, and factor that into the price you're willing to accept. Like you said, the race isn't exactly next week.
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited June 2011
    Twirling Candy at 10-1

Nice call Vegas. What a huge performance, what if this horse ever gets a good trip?
    edited June 2011
    he created his bad trip....the horse will never like anything else but being in front.....he might win that race like that but he wont win the classic....its like the horse is just crazy in the mind
    edited June 2011
    I think it was more a function of him drawing the rail than anything else. He's rated before, most recently in the Malibu i guess.
  • TrotmanTrotman Senior Member
    edited June 2011
    I think the BC classic futures have some merit...one it is late in the same year and while 5 months away, one can at least make some sense out of the best horses..

The derby future last September at Wynns opened with 110 horses (according to Dave Tuley's viewfromvegas.com,only 2 made it to the starting gate....what Wynn took in, call it a clean sweep. Trying to pick the Derby winner in September is out of the question.
    edited June 2011
    The best value often comes on late-blooming types. For instance, i got 75/1 on Twirling Candy to win the Classic last year. What's ridiculous is that he failed to even make the race last year, and yet, this year he gets opened @ 10/1 or whatever it was (with over 6 months until raceday, no less).

The other problem these days (in addition to the prices being uber-lowballed pretty much across the board) is that they're opening the non-Classic future books at much later dates than they used to. So, by the time you're actually able to get down on a horse you might like (one that might've still been under-the-radar a month or two earlier), all the value is gone by the time they finally post a price. Hell, it might be September before they even post Juvenile futures. The whole thing has just gotten ridiculous, at least from the players' standpoint. It's a real shame, too. They used to really be worth pursuing some years back. It started to change right about the same time John Avello moved his tack over to the Wynn. Whether that was a coincidence or not, who knows.