Belmont Day stakes

IH8PATDAYIH8PATDAY Member
edited June 2011 in Horse Racing Forum
I see no real bet in the Acorn. Can't bet Turbulent Descent, but can't bet against so let's move on.

True North: The Dutrow boys are my pick in here. D'Funnybone should be primed in his third start off the layoff to turn the tables on Trappe Shot and just for kicks you get ThisonesforPhil who had a nice return to the track in his last, he may bounce off that effort but i'll take him as a throw in.
Calibrachoa is in the best form of his career after being claimed by Pletcher and should certainly be right there again. Trappe shot is 2-2 @ Belmont and 2-2 @ 6f and is likely the one to beat. I think he will be overbet and likely be 8-5 or less. So I will try to beat him. My plays 1-5-3

Woody Stephens: JJ's Lucky train (Best Bet) William Anderson is an excellent trainer who doesn't have much stock anymore. For him to run the horse in this spot he must feel he has a big shot. Horse is versatile enough to set the pace or can rate and pounce if a speed dual develops. Lopez a very good jock, who most have never heard of. i think this horse is ready for a huge effort and wins this race at a decent price. Arch Traveler's last race was very impressive, not sure what he beat but impressive nonetheless. He should be a big factor again today. Travelin Man, Pletcher's lightly raced colt seems to be in an on again, off again pattern and may be ready to run a big again today. If he does I don't think he gets beat, but I'll tae a stand against. My plays 7-5-1

Just A Game: Aviate and Fantasia come out of a race on Derby Day which they finished first and third respectively. Aviate is amazingly well bred and the mile seems to be her best distance. Fantasia had a little bit of a troubled trip @ CD but is only 1 for 10 lifetime at the distance. Gypsy's Warning is the fields only Gr. 1 winner but seems to me to prefer firm footing , so if the turf comes up soft, to me she's a toss. Amen Hallelujah has faced some of the best fillies the sport has to offer. The thing that is interesting to be is she has excellent turf pedigree on the dams side and my just be the most talented horse in the field. This race is the most confusing to me. So will probably play 1-3 -2 if it is a firm course and if it's soft probably 2-6-3.

Manhattan: To me unless Gio Ponti suffers from the dreaded Dubai bounce he lays over this field big time. He has earned more money than the rest of the field combined. He is consistent as they come and I feel he wins this race, unless Dominguez screws it up. If he is to lose to me the most likely winner is Viscount Nelson who won just eight days ago in Ireland, but is losing a whopping 18 lbs off that effort and who am I to question O'Brien. My plays 4-6 end of story.

Belmont Stakes: Animal Kingdom will stay close enough to what I anticipate to be a slow pace, will not face the kick back which JV said really bothered him in the Preakness and will eat these guys up in the stretch today. I did not like JV's ride in Baltimore and I don't expect him to make the same mistake twice. Nehro loves to run second, still only a maiden winner and by skipping the Preakness he may have enough left in the tank to finish second again here. Master of Hounds faced major traffic in the stretch of the Derby and was closing along the rail nicely when he found room. not sure I love shipping back overseas then coming back but like I said earlier who am I to question O'Brien. I think he has the best chance for a big improvement if the voyages across the pond didn't take to much out of him. My plays 9-6-1

Just my two cents on what promises to be a great day of racing. God I love this game!! Best of luck to all. Hope your cashin and not trashin. peace.

Comments

• IH8PATDAYIH8PATDAY Member
    edited June 2011
    made my biggest bet of the year on #7 JJ's Lucky Train in the Stephens. wish me luck, lol
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited June 2011
    Wow, good luck! I gave him a look myself, but decided to pass the race.
  • IH8PATDAYIH8PATDAY Member
    edited June 2011
    Thanks DC, ran ok but was left with too much to do .the obvious speed bias today spells trouble for AK and the rest of the closers in the Belmont. Justin Phillip ran a hole through the wind. JJ second, no savers ughhhhh! No coming back for me today, down too much.
  • SirBearSirBear Senior Member
    edited June 2011
    Justin Phillip got the final furlong in 14 flat and they still couldn't reel him in. Pretty sure the race came back slow, but JP was a convincing winner.