College World Series preview

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited June 2011 in Horse Racing Forum
Great podcast from Baseball America's college baseball experts, Aaron Fitt and John Manuel. Can't wait for Saturday!

http://media.baseballamerica.com/mp3/free/110616.mp3

Comments

• John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited June 2011
    DC
    I don't know anything about the brackets or the Vegas odds, but I do know that Vandy has two top shelf pitchers. Their third string pitcher isn't chopped liver either. They have shut down most SEC powerhouse teams this year and they are as good as anyone in the country. Keep an eye on Vandy!
  • oakasoakas Junior Member
    edited June 2011
    Vandy looks good for taking it all.
    They have 4 players named All Americans, the most of any team in the series. 2 pitchers and 2 position players were named. Their top 2 pitchers were a combined 25-4 on the year with a 2.16 ERA. Having 2 really good pitchers is a major plus in a short series.

Vandy is the only team in the CWS that is in the top 5 in both team batting and team ERA for the year. They were tied for 4th with a team batting average of .319 and was 3rd in team ERA with a 2.38 ERA. The only other team in the CWS that is in the top 20 in both batting average and team ERA is Florida. They are 16th in batting average with a .311 average and is 20th in team ERA with a 3.01 ERA.

Good luck.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited June 2011
    Vandy is obviously a major player here. I think i either read (or heraed in the podcast) that they set a SEC record for the players drafted from their team. I wsa hoping to be able to get a future bet fown on them after learning that they were only the 6th national seed, but unfortunately they're listed among the favorites @ 7/2.

Aaron Fitt is picking Florida to win the Bracket (which Vandy resides in), and Virginia to win the other bracket. He's picking Florida over Virginia in the finals.

John Manuel, on the other hand, is picking Vandy over Virginia.

Vandy is also a pretty big favorite over North Carolina tomorrow (unfortunately). -175 or something.