Friday night play from DiscreetPicks

DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
edited July 2011 in Horse Racing Forum
Hollywood - Race 5

#6 Boulder Creek (8/1 ml)

Re-claim for the obscure trainer Herbert Bacorn was moving quite well in his last start, moving up to take the lead around the turn vs. a couple of these (including 5/2 ml favorite Fire Break) before getting bumped hard from the inside and knocked off stride by another horse who was attempting to split between. Totally lost his momentum from that, and was then further compromised by some more light bumping with the same horse in upper stretch. Continued on pretty well after that to get necked for third by Fire Break (who had his own trouble around the turn, btw), and i think the stretch run is pretty much a throwout. That being the case, as mentioned before, Boulder Creek was moving very well before that, and might very well have posted the 8/1 upset with a clean trip. Speaking of which, he also projects for a pretty nice trip here, as he has good positional speed and should be sitting on the outside of Fire Break once again while tracking a potential speed-duel between Big Wags and Capture the Call. You might also note that Boulder Creek won his last start for Bacorn over this same surface and distance (over a return winner, no less). Excellent value here.

HRT record:

81 for 299 (27%)

$677.40 mutuels ($8.36 avg)

Comments

• husker70husker70 Senior Member
    edited July 2011
    I'm With Ya On This One Cat...like The Breeding.....
    Betting 6 Wps...with 3,5....see Ya At The Windows...
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited July 2011
    Hollywood - Race 5

#6 Boulder Creek (8/1 ml)

Re-claim for the obscure trainer Herbert Bacorn was moving quite well in his last start, moving up to take the lead around the turn vs. a couple of these (including 5/2 ml favorite Fire Break) before getting bumped hard from the inside and knocked off stride by another horse who was attempting to split between. Totally lost his momentum from that, and was then further compromised by some more light bumping with the same horse in upper stretch. Continued on pretty well after that to get necked for third by Fire Break (who had his own trouble around the turn, btw), and i think the stretch run is pretty much a throwout. That being the case, as mentioned before, Boulder Creek was moving very well before that, and might very well have posted the 8/1 upset with a clean trip. Speaking of which, he also projects for a pretty nice trip here, as he has good positional speed and should be sitting on the outside of Fire Break once again while tracking a potential speed-duel between Big Wags and Capture the Call. You might also note that Boulder Creek won his last start for Bacorn over this same surface and distance (over a return winner, no less). Excellent value here.

HRT record:

81 for 299 (27%)

$677.40 mutuels ($8.36 avg)

I could see this one drifting up too. Tough race IMO.
  • 2W2P2S2W2P2S Senior Member
    edited July 2011
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    I could see this one drifting up too. Tough race IMO.

No chance. Gonna get bet. I think they butchered the ML on this one.......with trouble finishing a neck behind the 5/2 ML favorite here in the last race and they make him 8/1? AGAPITO has to go from the 1 post and if Pedroza concedes, Big Wags could be a good longshot exotic key with Boulder Creek.

BTW Dirty,
    The last race Flores angle takes on a whole new meaning tonight. LOL
  • tmffmtmffm Banned
    edited July 2011
    My only concern with this horse -- based on watching its last two races -- is that (the connections think ) it needs to be outside of horses -- which means wide on the turns and wide, no cover, on the backstretch.
    edited July 2011
    2W2P2S wrote: »
    No chance. Gonna get bet. I think they butchered the ML on this one.......with trouble finishing a neck behind the 5/2 ML favorite here in the last race and they make him 8/1? AGAPITO has to go from the 1 post and if Pedroza concedes, Big Wags could be a good longshot exotic key with Boulder Creek.

BTW Dirty,

Here's the results for when he rode the last race 2 Friday nights back:

11 The Full Lavino D. Flores $38.00 $12.60 $9.60
    10 Unusual Jazz M. Garcia $8.80 $7.40
    5 Bryan Daniel R. Bejarano $3.40

Times in 5ths: :214 :45 1:11 1:173

Times in 100ths: :21.83 :45.11 1:11.14 1:17.76
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited July 2011
    I like Control Seeker in this one, as Mitchell is always strong on the drop. I see Control Seeker getting the jump on the speed down the lane. The only concern with CS is Brice Blanc in the irons.

gl, fb
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited July 2011

BTW Dirty,

Didn't you all use to follow this angel at LVA Sports a few years back?
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, I still pay attention a little. I'm on Rosario in the last now much more, however.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited July 2011
    Agreed with regard to Big Wags. I was looking at him very closely whernm i first started handicapping the race. He had no chance on the lead last time on the turnback vs. Da Ruler, and in his two prior races over this same layout (including the common race with Boulder Creek and Fire Break), he ran pretty well. I just think he's in a bit of a tough spot here with a committed frontrunning type sitting almost to his immediate outside. Agree that one might conced the lead, as Big Wags is almost certainly faster and has position heading into the first turn, but on the other hand it could get pretty ugly as well. Boulder Creek also seemed to have little trouble moving up to challenge in their last race together. Have to side with the latter here, although both could definitely run well.
    edited July 2011
    Yeah FB, we had fun with that angle over at LVA.

Dirty, I'm talkin about this Flores in the last (whoever he is):

2T4YO and some guy named E Flores on #7 Aeroman 9/2 ML.........dueled and just tired while carrying 124lbs and Maldonado on his back. Now carries 112lbs for Cerin who's much better 2nd off the layoff and I can't imagine this is a big jock downgrade if any without knowing a thing about him. 3 straight 2nds on this track and some nice ones as a 3YO when carrying less weight. Tough to be a maiden still when you run 2nd in fields of 12, 12 and 14.........that's beating a lot of horses. Weight off, tighter, and more mature. Should run a good one tonight.
    edited July 2011
    Agreed with regard to Big Wags. I was looking at him very closely whernm i first started handicapping the race. He had no chance on the lead last time on the turnback vs. Da Ruler, and in his two prior races over this same layout (including the common race with Boulder Creek and Fire Break), he ran pretty well. I just think he's in a bit of a tough spot here with a committed frontrunning type sitting almost to his immediate outside. Agree that one might conced the lead, as Big Wags is almost certainly faster and has position heading into the first turn, but on the other hand it could get pretty ugly as well. Boulder Creek also seemed to have little trouble moving up to challenge in their last race together. Have to side with the latter here, although both could definitely run well.

All 3 of those pretty correlated for verticals. I'll definitely have all 3 tied up. Should be noted Fire Break had a horrible trip in that last race. Nothing else to do for Garcia but completely pull the horse back and get shuffled to last to find room at the 1/4 pole.....had to make another move in the stretch to get clear to the outside and then strided out well.
  • DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited July 2011
    Boulder Creek misses by a neck @ 11/1, while also getting nosed out of place-money. Downright brutal.
    edited July 2011

BTW Dirty,

Maybe a small chance he drifts up...

Great call with Agapito, hope you cashed something. The 'Flores' turned out to be an 18 yo high school kid who rode a great race, coming up a neck short against a baffert horse.
    edited July 2011
    dirtyshirt wrote: »
    Here's the results for when he rode the last race 2 Friday nights back:

11 The Full Lavino D. Flores $38.00 $12.60 $9.60
    10 Unusual Jazz M. Garcia $8.80 $7.40
    5 Bryan Daniel R. Bejarano $3.40

Times in 5ths: :214 :45 1:11 1:173

Times in 100ths: :21.83 :45.11 1:11.14 1:17.76

Flores again.