Belmont Race 7 Friday 6:04 EDT

John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
edited July 2011 in Horse Racing Forum
Belmont 7
MC $65k 3 year olds 1 mile turf

This race has alot of lightly raced 3yo and some firsters. The two ml favs are very iffy and I will throw both out completely. Word on the backside is that there is some sneaky stuff going on here and calculated to result in a big pay-off for connections.

#7 EAST INDIES, 9/2
Formerly trained last summer by Kenny McPeek, went to Dominick Schettino and his last two races he has been very close at this level and distance. Runs on the front end, is the lone speed in here today, and the turf course is rock hard and favoring speed. Moreover, he goes from Ramon to Javier, but today they go elsewhere but Ramon's agent wanted the mount. Today the mount goes to underrated turf jock Jose Espinoza, and the word is that the connections are expecting a much better pay-off with lesser known jockey. Not only does this speedy horse have the lone speed, he also has the best late pace figures. A major win bet for me today!
I will throw in a couple at big odds for exotic plays underneath.

#1 APPALLING, 15-1
Tagg/Lezcano firster has two good gate works and followed those up with a blowout 5 days ago. Inside post is a drawback and so is Tagg's first out numbers, but his works have been visually impressive.

#4 COUSIN RICH, 10-1
Blinkers go on today and it should be pointed out that his best race to-date was on firm footing. Showing good speed in the A.M.

#10 BEST ACT, 6-1
Bombed on dirt. Tried turf in Feb at GP and came alive. Chad Brown sent this regally bred youngster to Saratoga Turf Tr. Track for extended works and word is he looks great. Should show more speed out of the gate with four ( 4 ) months off and Ramon has the mount after wanting the mount on #7 East Indies.

Win Bet and W/ P/ S on #7 East Indies

Tri key 7---1/4/10

If this one hits it should be HUGE!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

Comments

• John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited July 2011
    Just got off the phone with folks at Belmont and got more bad news regarding one of our colts. Damn the luck!

However, I also got word on what they are playing today, pre-scratches

1st---2---4/6---3/5

3rd---2 over 1/5

4th---All they have on #6 ZOW, but expect 1/1 or less

8th---2/3/4 ex and tri

9th---ex bx 5/7/9

May have something later from Churchill, stay tuned! GOOD LUCK!
  • tmffmtmffm Banned
    edited July 2011
    Hope you don't mind me chiming in.

I agree that East Indies figures as the only speed and should get things his own way.

But I think that the 'other' ones in the race are:

#3, Mosquito: he's not much but he'd have won two back if not Ramoned. He had a very nice trip but the winner had a better one. His MTH race is disappointing but early on it appears that was having trouble with the footing.

#6 Legend of Navaronne: when I checked out the replay of the MTH race for #3, I couldn't help noticing that this one ran a very nice effort in it -premature sweeping wide move on the turn to open a lead; then run down by a later mover, in a race that fell apart otherwise. Much better than the 3; and, probably, better than the winner. To that point he hadn't really shown much. Maybe these are better but this one figures to be stalking the 7 or even pressing it; and the cutback will certainly work to its favor.

No idea what I'm doing with these until I see the betting action. But I won't be using any others.

Good Luck
    edited July 2011
    The two you have mentioned are the two favs I'm throwing out. No way either the 3 or the 6 will attempt to run with East Indies early. If they do they won't be around at the finish. Right now, there is a true speed bias on both the inner and Widener turf courses. The two you have mentioned will really have to step it up today to make any impact against East Indies, and at expected short odds they are both a play against for me, IMO. Also note that their last race at MTH was over ground that had alot of cut in it .
  • tmffmtmffm Banned
    edited July 2011
    I'm not contended that the 3 will try to run with the 7 early. The 3 is, arguably, the best closer in the race. And the 6 certainly will be able to sit a nice stalking trip.

Of course, if the turf is playing like SAR's turf courses did last year, then the 7 wires. I'll watch the turf races prior to the 7th and see what's going on.
  • fbwinnersfbwinners Senior Member
    edited July 2011
    The two you have mentioned are the two favs I'm throwing out. No way either the 3 or the 6 will attempt to run with East Indies early. If they do they won't be around at the finish. Right now, there is a true speed bias on both the inner and Widener turf courses. The two you have mentioned will really have to step it up today to make any impact against East Indies, and at expected short odds they are both a play against for me, IMO. Also note that their last race at MTH was over ground that had alot of cut in it .

You think there is a Speed Bias on the weeds, I would say so. Killed me last week in the stakes race and the week before. Zagora should of won that race last weekend and Longhunter the week before had no shot either two weeks back. This speed bias has been going on all meet IMO!!!!! Just go watch the replays of CS Silk and Mission Approved on Belmont day.
    edited July 2011
    Just got home and saw where the #10 is a sct. Too bad he is a good one. However, I will sub the #6 in his spot to finish off the exotics. The last race on the weeds at Belmont saw a real longshot get a crown trip just off the lead and battle the early speed to the wire for a nose win at around 25-1. Whatever FB said about a speed bias, DITTO!
    edited July 2011
    So much for the connections trying to get greedy with Jose Espinoza. East Indies gets out to an easy lead going the slowest fractions he has ever gone. Around 24.3 and 49.4 . any good jock would have let him go and play catch me if you can. But No, Espinoza lets him go to sleep on the front end and he gets past by 3 others at the 1/16 pole and makes me look like a total fucking fool! The two favs I threw out ran 1st and 2nd and the Forum new guy looks like Jimmy The Fuckin Greek! Up Yours ! Just kidding, congrats on your hit! I'm just bitter!
  • topplayertopplayer Senior Member
    edited July 2011
    nice call tmffm