Belmont Plays--Weather?

John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
edited July 2011 in Horse Racing Forum
NYRA racing secretary been calling around this morning to find out how many horses would run if the turf races came off. Bad weather looming but anyone's guess when and how much?
Pletcher in Delaware this morning but asst. trainer for TAP, John ?, indicated that the Dogwood colt will run regardless. I called Dogwood and found out the skinny on the following:

Race 4
Mdn $60k 2yo 6f Inner Turf

#5 BEHEMOTH, 3-1
Classy Canadian bred will run today on either surface. Will probably be pointed toward turf later, but he makes his second start today after getting a distant 3rd in debut and the word is that he should be much improved 2nd out. Pletcher/Johnny V./Dogwood Stables= Short Price!

#1 UR, 4-1
1st time started has 4 bullet works in last 5 weeks at Fair Hills Tr. center. Inside post hurts, but he may be fast enough to get out early and find a comfort zone.

#8 COACH ROYAL, 8-1
mud pedigree and good works for Mott, who gets 26% with first time starters.

RACE 8
1 1/8 turf?
If off turf, load up today on #8 SLAMBINO, MTO, 7/2 !

Tomorrow, Sat., at Belmont we have a 2 yo firster named STREET FIGHT, who is another Pletcher trained Dogwood Horse who will be ridden by Calvin Borel. Many of the NY jocks will be at Calder for Summit of Speed Saturday. I'll have more info tomorrow but he is one to look at real hard!

GOOD LUCK!

Comments

• John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited July 2011
    rains came and killed our field sizes and prices.
    Not exactly any mortgage busters here today, but 2 for 2 with an exacta thrown in ain't bad!

BEHEMOTH toyed with the field and easily pulled away to win by 7 3/4 lengths. Heavy betting, including mine, and paid only $3.50 2.60 2.10. The Mott firster got his act together late to nail the bottom of the exacta to pay $19.80.

SLAMBINO, in a race coming off the turf and reduced to a measley 3 horse field, did likewise and pulled away to win by 7 1/4 lengths. Paid $4.30 to win.

Better prices tomorrow!