Paging Kingoftherapids

John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
edited July 2011 in Horse Racing Forum
King:

What is the deal with Calvin going to NY tomorrow? He has 3 or 4 mounts and I can't find a common theme in any. He has a Ian Wilkes mount early, but Freddy has the mount on the Wilkes horse in the feature. Hard to believe Jerry Hissom is doing that much work! LOL. We're not sure how Calvin got the mount on the Pletcher/Dogwood 2 year old, and that comes from Dogwood .

Comments

• DiscreetCatDiscreetCat Moderator
    edited July 2011
    It'll be interesting to see what he does out there tomorrow.

Btw, Churchill is closed, so there's that. Might just be trying to get in good with the NY guys before Saratoga opens?
  • kingoftherapidkingoftherapid Senior Member
    edited July 2011
    ian and freddie are VERY close. ian is the reason why freddie ever got here. (he came and exercised for him in the summer of 08) I am pretty sure freddie is getting on the better horse in that lesser stake on saturday. ill check and make sure with freddie today. that qualia horse freddie is on outclasses this field although i don't like that long belmont stretch with freddie on a horse that is forwardly placed. freddie is a come from the back type of jock as we all know.

freddie's first stakes in the US was on bearpath and he also won the united nations stakes at gulfstream in 09 on him. the connects flew him from oaklawn to gulfstream for that race btw. he was pretty much a lock to get on him again. another thing of note is that calvin got dead last on bearpath last time he ran at belmont. that was also the last time anyone besides freddie rode him. freddie has breezed and ridden him ever since. this is freddie's baby, and be looking for a big race from him. he is ready.
    edited July 2011
    Nice info, thanks! Just a heads-up though (and you probably already know this), the weather has been pretty nasty up there.
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited July 2011
    Looks like the track is drying out. 1st race just ran and it was heavy but should continue to dry out and be fast by the 5th.

Belmont 5th
    2yo baby race going 5 1/2 for $60k.

BUMP !

Calvin takes the mount on #7 STREET FIGHT, and it appears that this is his chance to get to know this one early and hope things work out come next May. Outside draw only helps as the rail is not the place to be when track is drying out. As is the case with all 2 yo making their first start going short, Pletcher thinks he will only get better with a race under his belt and when he stretches out to a meaningful distance. Calvin may see things differently as he wants to make a case for himself on this future stakes colt. Keep in mind that this 1st race means very little to Pletcher at this point in time. In fact, TAP believes the #3 STAT, is probably a little quicker out of the gate. We'll see!
    edited July 2011
    I took Street Fight today myself. Looked like he has in good position, just wasn't good enough. NIce price though @ 5/1. The other Pletcher (Stat) looked good. That one got bet down to 3/4, btw.
  • John GreenhawJohn Greenhaw Senior Member
    edited July 2011
    yeah, unfortunately, me too!
    Calvin just can't help it. He took Street Fight inside along the turn to save ground and kept him about in the 2 or 3 path. The winner and the one that closed well for 2nd were way out in the track near the crown where the surface was the best, not inside where the water was draining. Calvin figured that out about the 1/16 pole but by then it was too late. Street Fight will run next at the Spa and will get an extra 1/2 f to try to make amends, but will not be 5-1. He has the look of a horse who will appreciate going at least 1 1/16. Might not see his 2yo best until he stretches out, and that might not be until 2012.