Toga Spot Play

DubyaBDubyaB Member
edited July 2011 in Horse Racing Forum
In today's 3rd race there is an interesting play based solely on an angle. #9 Isn'tlovejustgrand (8-1) connects Johnny V with a low profile trainer Joe Aquilino. According to DRF it will be the first time together . If Cordero points him to this mount that is OK with me .

Comments

• DubyaBDubyaB Member
    edited July 2011
    I apologize for the dud. (N) yesterday However, after watching the replay after the race I did notice this guy was unsettled in the gate . The Assistant Starter was experiencing a number problems keeping his head straight and relaxed prior to the start .When the latch sprung he broke in the air spotting the field several lengths. Aquilino entered Isn'tlovejustgrand right back today in a spot for this Friday with Maragh aboard. My sense is that Aquilino thinks this guy is sitting on one.
    There has been alot of money burners that I have been married to over the years . I hope I can be rewarded this time . Could be drinks at Siros or dinner at Mickey D's
  • tmffmtmffm Banned
    edited July 2011
    Going into that race I liked, in order:

#11 -- Associate
    #3 --- Monteagle
    #9 -- Isn'tlovejustgrand

They were the BEST CLOSERS in the race. And they ran 3rd LAST, 2nd LAST and LAST.
    But I was aware that the turf was playing for speed, as I've witnessed some HUGE turf sprint biases @ SAR over the past few years (not to be confused with the GENERAL TURF BIAS last year).

So, either all three of these horses are PLUGS: not likely, as what they have in common is very nice maiden wins where they went and got a loose speed WITHOUT HELP.

Or, the track just didn't play to their running style.

Since the winner went wire to wire and the 3rd finisher was 2nd all the way around until very late, it would appear that the latter conjecture is the correct one.

Doesn't mean, however, that any of these 3 can come back an win next time as they took the races off the turf today and there's no reason that, when they let them back on the turf, these courses won't be every bit as hard as they are presently -- and thus favoring speed.

Sooner or later, the NYRA bigwigs will figure out that if you don't run on a turf course when it's wet, it'll just keep getting harder and harder.
  • tmffmtmffm Banned
    edited July 2011
    Correction: Associate and Isn'tlovejustgrand ran down loose leaders with no help.
    Monteagle buried a field with a decent setup.
  • DubyaBDubyaB Member
    edited July 2011
    With the exception of Associate( the barn thinks he is a rat) your play was very similar to mine. I really liked this exacta
    #3 --- Monteagle
    #9 -- Isn'tlovejustgrand
  • DubyaBDubyaB Member
    edited July 2011
    Forgive me for gloating HOWEVER my earlier post MADE my day & week ! Isn'tlovejustgrand came through for me today .I actually got the bob which capped off a COLD PUNCH DOULBLE . I apologize for my celebration ! In the words of Bill Parcells the greatest narcotic is winning .
  • dirtyshirtdirtyshirt Senior Member
    edited July 2011
    DubyaB wrote: »
    Forgive me for gloating HOWEVER my earlier post MADE my day & week ! Isn'tlovejustgrand came through for me today .I actually got the bob which capped off a COLD PUNCH DOULBLE . I apologize for my celebration ! In the words of Bill Parcells the greatest narcotic is winning .

Keep gloating. Your faith was rewarded.